In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl's splitting axe

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Rich L, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Rich L

Rich L

My local hardware store has these axes at I think I saw it right $ 109.00.What would make these axes so expensive.Any info on this tool ?

2. SD Steve

SD Steve

I think it might be just the "STIHL" brand name. It looks great, but the Fiskars X27 works very well and is half the price.

3. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Name brand for sure. It boggles me how Fiskars can sell their axe for $50 with a life time warranty and it’s fiberglass. Stihl gets $100 for a wood Handle and ???? Warranty

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Not sure about the Stihl as I see no picture, I bought a Husqvarna hatchet for $40 something and it is hand forged Swedish steel with a hickory handle. If something is handmade in any way, it tends to be a little more. And I'd pay the extra money for the one that is not made in china.
    RFVF2716.JPG

5. Rich L

Rich L

I hope the Stihl axes are not made in China.That would be a spirit killer.

6. Rich L

Rich L

It boogles me too.

Screwloose, T.Jeff Veal and Chaz like this.
  7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I doubt it. A quick search shows some are German made.

8. Rich L

Rich L

Good ! Germans make good stuff.

9. Mtnbikerfred

Mtnbikerfred

I bought one back in April. I have a big no-name maul, and a couple of axes. I was destroying the handle on my favorite ax over-striking while splitting. It's a fast cutter, but literally the wrong ax for the job.

I used the maul almost exclusively. Makes for interesting kindling. It burns ok, but looks more like it was smashed to death than actually split....

So, I needed a splitting ax. Something heartier than my small ax, but heavy enough for the big rounds. And with a collar to protect the handle.

My wood-gettin buddies have A fiskars, and cheap-ish (Husky brand I think) splitting maul that I've used a bit. Frankly, I wasn't that impressed with the composite handles and the way they "hit".

There's something special about a hickory handle attached to a kinetic death implement. The raw steel at the top speaks volumes about it's intended purpose.

I show up at the pile with my brand-spankin-new Hundred Dollhair fancy Stihl® Pro Splitting half-ax/maul thing, and they're already chuckling...

Until they rolled me a big round that usually takes a couple of swings per quarter to split.

(THOCK!) "Wow" (THOCK!) "Faack me" (THOCK!) "That thing is sharp" (THOCK! Echoing off the mountains)... "Lemme see that thing"....

It's not as sharp/fast as an ax. It's a little "stickier" than a maul. It's got a lifetime warranty, and I don't think I'll ever need it. While it's not necessary, I'm trying to keep it as sharp as my ax.

Bottom line is if you like the way it feels, you can split a lot of wood easier (less weight) than with a maul, and it's not quite as heavy, but also sharp enough to choke up and split small stuff, or limb a little.

10. Rich L

Rich L

I don't need the axe but your reply makes me want one.I have a round of maple four feet across that I'll introduce that axe to.Thanks I really enjoyed your description (THOCK ) !

11. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Our local Stihl shop has axes, mauls and peaveys and such for sale. Sorry, too rich for my blood! I went the Fiskar's route and am very happy with the maul and splitting axe. But, as always, "to each his own".

12. Meche_03

Meche_03

Stihl axes are too pricey for me. I haven't found one I like to hold or swing either. The handles are too thick and I just don't like the looks of them.

Husqvarna axes all seem better made. Still a bit too pricey compared to some very useful American made axes.

13. Rich L

Rich L

I just got the Stihl axe yesterday.Haven't put it to the test yet but the warranty is only good for 90 days after purchase.The reviews on the Stihl site were good but those are suspect.I hope I can get years of use out of that axe.I got a maple round about four feet across that I'll try this axe on then I'll give an update.

14. Mtnbikerfred

Mtnbikerfred

Who told you 90 days? My dealer made it clear, it was lifetime.

15. Meche_03

Meche_03

"STIHL model PA axes, PH hedge shears, PL loppers, PP pruners and PS pruning saws are warranted against defective material or workmanship until the product is no longer available while owned by the original purchaser (other than for purposes of resale) when used for all applications."
    STIHL Products Limited Warranty Information | STIHL USA Mobile

90 days is for rental use.

16. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Very interested in your review! What axes will you be comparing it to?

17. Rich L

Rich L

I called Stihl. They told me.

Screwloose and Mtnbikerfred like this.
  18. Rich L

Rich L

I have two Fiskars and a Hichory handle axe.

19. Rich L

Rich L

I went to pick up a couple of cords of maple mixed with some cedar.Some rounds were too big to lift so they got split and loaded.One round of Maple about three feet high and two and a half feet across got put on it's end and split down the middle.I hit one half with the Stihl axe and sure enough it was "THOCK "then "THOCK" and that maple was quartered.This axe has taken the throne.I do not feel bad about paying for this tool.It fits my grip like a champ.Has great balance and you don't use as much energy to get the job done.This thing will last a long time as long as you don't hit the back of the head with a sledge.Great,Great Axe best that I've every dealt with. .

20. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Man that thing must be amazing! I can’t even imagine try to attempt to split a round 3 feet high and 2 1/2 feet across! And you got it quartered in 2 thocks! You must be able to swing an axe like Paul Bunyan!

So Rich L how does it compare to your Fiskars?