In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl FS 91

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by NBourque, Jul 10, 2019.

1. NBourque

NBourque

I bought a brand new FS 91 trimmer last summer. It has maybe 2 tanks of fuel run thru it. It is very slow to rev up. Is this normal? I took it back to the dealer and they said it was fine.

M2theB, Chaz and papadave like this.
  2. papadave

papadave

Mine does the same thing (also bought last year). I just give it a bit of time to "warm up" and a few blips of the trigger.

Sandhillbilly, M2theB and Chaz like this.
  3. NBourque

NBourque

It’s almost like it has no low end power. Gotta keep it revved up to get anything out of it. Such a weird powerband. I think I’d prefer it to be a straight 2 stroke rather than the 4 mix...

M2theB, Chaz and papadave like this.
  4. bocefus78

bocefus78

The 4mix takes some getting used to if you are coming from a 2 stroke. When tuned right, they have way more torque than a 2 stoker.

Sounds as if the dealer didnt tune the carb outta the box. This year they seem ultra lethargic outta the box.

This is coming from a guy who sells them and tunes them upon delivery daily.

M2theB and papadave like this.
  5. NBourque

NBourque

Feels as if there is no throttle response. I have the special tool to adjust the carb...

bocefus78 likes this.
  6. bocefus78

bocefus78

If you've got a spline carb tool, tune it yourself. It should accelerate quickly and barely hit the rev limiter on the high end without a load. Ie....not in grass.

Get it warm before tuning.

Stephiedoll and papadave like this.
  7. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I have a Husqvarna that I’ve had for about 10 years. It’s always acted like that also. I have a gearbox head rather than a flex shaft & I’ve always just blamed it on that. I’ve never tried to tune on it though, just kinda lived with it. But since I’ve been here awhile I’ve been thinking I better give it a try. ..... also been wondering if anyone has ever done a muffler mod or ported a string trimmer/ weed wacker:emb:

papadave likes this.
  8. NBourque

NBourque

Any tips on tuning these 4 mixes?