In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl 362c impressions

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Smoketr1973, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Smoketr1973

Smoketr1973

So I haven't had a ton of time to cut lately, but I have managed to get 5 tanks of fuel thru the new Stihl, so here is an update on the saw so far.
    Cold starts consistently in 4 pulls. It will warm start in the "run"position with 1 pull within 15 minutes of shut down. After 15 mins, if you move the control to "start" position it will start with 1 pull. No choke position on these saws, but very repeatable results regardless of air temperature, so this is a plus in my books.
    I was a little unsure if I would like the captive bar nuts, but since I store my power heads separate from the bars, this has turned out to be a good thing since I have the clutch cover on and off so much, also a plus. On the downside, I feel the new clutch cover doesn't clear the chips as well as the old style. I think it's the captive nuts that add material to the inside of the cover and slow down the ejection. This may be a bigger issue when I noodle but haven't tried that yet.
    The saw is a very strong oiler, which I am a fan of. I've been running a 20" bar and the chain slings oil very well.
    I'm not too fond of the hold downs for the air filter/engine cover. They are really stiff and I have a feeling the slot will round over in time if I'm not really carefull when loosening them. I prefer the clips like on the 441.
    Air filtration seems very good. No large chips on the filter, only fine dust on the outside of the pleats and no sign of pass through.
    I am averaging 2.5 facecords(split and stacked) per tank which seems really good for this size saw.
    Chain brake is very crisp. Probably one of the nicest that I have used and takes very little wrist rotation to engage.
    The saw pulls into the wood like crazy!! I think I might add the outer bumper spike to the clutch cover because I'm leveraging off the spikes with every cut. I can really rock the saw hard on the spikes and hardly drop the rpm's. Big On this one!
    All and all, if something were to happen to this one I would want to replace it ASAP. Very happy so far. More reviews to come.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Last pic shows total dust after complete clean up including the bar.

2. papadave

papadave

Almost a cord of wood per tank?
    Holy moly. That's excellent.

Barcroftb likes this.
  3. Smoketr1973

Smoketr1973

About this much: image.jpeg

4. rburg

rburg

Thanks for the review of your saw. I hope to get to try one of these sometime.

5. lukem

lukem

I can usually fill my 4x8 trailer on one tank of fuel. I run out of gas and need to take 5 before the saw does.

papadave likes this.
  6. papadave

papadave

When just bucking logs, I manage about 1/3 cord/tank.

7. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Wondering if he meant per tank of oil?

Gary

papadave likes this.
  8. lukem

lukem

I think 2/3 cord is likely, 1 cord possible, on a single tank depending on how much limbing you have to do.

papadave likes this.
  9. Smoketr1973

Smoketr1973

Actually this saw is bang on for oiling, when the fuel tank is empty there is a tiny amount left in the oil tank. Here is a pic from yesterday showing what I have put up this year with the new saw. Not all of it naturally, only the fresh stuff in the row behind me. Don't judge the goofy pic, my daughter couldn't resist image.jpeg

DexterDay, XXL, Kyle Mulligan and 9 others like this.
  10. rburg

rburg

Definitely looks like you have used it enough to break it it. LoL!

11. FTG-05

FTG-05

Count me as a MS-362 CM fan! I've had just over 2 years this past mid-Feb. and it has never let me down or failed to impress me!

I had to take down some fairly large trees, so put the 25' bar back on it (it usually lives on my MS-440 Magnum), but now I love the 362 with it's 25" bar!

It has taken down and/or bucked up all this wood:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Smoketr1973

Smoketr1973

Looks good! I haven't tried a 25" yet but you have me thinking
    I ordered the bucking spike for the clutch cover today from my local dealer. $30.00 for inner and outer plus the roller style chain catcher. Pics in a few days.

13. lukem

lukem

I have the dual spike / catcher kit in mine. Works great.

Barcroftb likes this.
  14. FTG-05

FTG-05

Do NOT post pics!!! The last thing I need to do is buy more stuff!!!

Well ok, maybe one pic. But don't post the part number or where you bought it from!!!

:)

15. bert the turtle

bert the turtle

Only way I'm getting a cord out of 1 tank on my 441 is if I buck to 8 foot lengths.

papadave likes this.
  16. Smoketr1973

Smoketr1973

Too late. Parts came today from Stihl dealer and I had them on in about 5 minutes.:D
    Part #1135-650-7750
    And he threw in alittle something extra.:D:D
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. lukem

lukem

Did you have to drill the clutch cover or do the new style ones come predrilled?

18. FTG-05

FTG-05

Dang that looks nice!!!

I think I'll be calling my neighbor Stihl dealer tomorrow and see if he can get it for me.

Thanks!!!

19. fezdawg12

fezdawg12

That is alot of wood on one tank. I need 5 tanks to get 1 & 3/4 cord(my truck and trailer) but I am cutting pinion pine and juniper. Just not very big trees.

I use my 020av super to limb the heck out of everything within about a hundred foot radius then start bucking with my 271 and husky 555.

Lot of damm work!

20. Smoketr1973

Smoketr1973

No drilling required, but there was detailed instructions included if you needed to.
    I didn't have to drill mine, but detailed instructions were included if you need to. When I was at the dealer ordering the parts it looks like there are about 8 different versions of the 361/362 that a person can choose from and on some models the duel spike kit was standard. It looked like they make a set for the older clutch cover as well that doesn't require drilling either.
    I will probably do my 441 after seeing how well this turned out.