In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Spring bear

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Rope, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Rope

Rope

Anyone else doing any spring bear? I will be going on my first coastal bear hunt also baiting close to home. About to order up some bait from Mi, hopefully the shipping on a ton will be reasonable. Good luck!

2. Rope

Rope

For my coastal brown bear hunt I am launching in Valdez on a 75 mile run to Montague Island. Rented a Forest Service cabin for 3 nights. I have both a brown and black bear for that special regulated area. I don’t think it’s hunt hard, it’s not the easiest place to get to. It’s going to be a memorable hunt to say the least. I will also be scouting for this fall, this island has Sitka blacktail. I am looking forward getting some deer meat.

3. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

4. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Good luck. Don't forget the pics.

5. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Jealous... as usual

6. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

going by yourself?

7. Rope

Rope

At this time a buddy is planning on coming, will be nice if he can come. If not I will have a hell of good time.

8. Rope

Rope

I have always like watching the coastal bear hunts that I have seen on TV. No that I have a capable boat, I am super to go on a trip like this. Hopefully this fall I get some Sitka blacktail and if I can squeeze in a mountain goat before winter sets in. I have 2 Dall sheep hunts planned on trip with each one of my older boys and a moose hunt with a buddy coming up from Pennsylvania. Then there is the halibut, long cod and rockfish to catch. This year is going to be a great one.

9. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Yeah ...sure .... just keep rubbing it in :(
    You pretty much just rattled off the top half of my bucket list

10. Rope

Rope

What are your bucket list hunts? I will try and help you figure some out if any are up this way. I turn 50 this year and I am slowly learning that I am going to run out if time if I don’t get after checking off my list.

11. mat60

mat60

Enjoy and good luck Rope

12. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Well.... being a nonresident pretty much all the ones that require a guide. I always wanted to live up there and after my first Alaska adventure, I really started to figure how to make it happen. I figured if I didn’t get there before I turned 45 it was probably never gonna happen. Somewhere around age 45 I met a woman who is now my wife, and I’m 53 now. So, short of hitting the lottery I’ll probably never be an Alaska resident or be able to afford to do the big hunts. Caribou is still a realistic probability though and something I’ve always wanted to do.
    Something about sleeping in a tent north of the Arctic circle has always had magical allure for me.
    You are in tok, right? Maybe we should talk about caribou

13. Rope

Rope

Grizz/brown bear and Dall sheep require a guide nothing else. Caribou are everywhere for them a flight into Fairbanks and a ride up the Steese/Dalton or Taylor hwy. Last flight I took from Fairbanks to Seattle was $250 round trip. Tags are over the counter, the draw tags are normally a place that is hard to get to and will be a trophy area. Yes sir, I am in Tok.

14. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

15. Rope

Rope

A is where I am have a cabin for my bear hunt and B is Valdez. Getting into the ordering supplies stage. Pulling the boat out of storage in a week and a half. D3F74106-839A-42C7-9833-F707788ACD7A.png

16. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

You lucky S.O.B lol. I would love to bear hunt in Alaska... The misses would probably hunt me if I told her I wanted to go there before she gets to go to ireland... I can dream though.

17. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

You go to Alaska while she goes to Ireland.... just make sure that you really want to go because if you make it there once, you WILL go back! Ask me how I know :D

18. Rope

Rope

I totally understand, it was a big commitment to move here to live the life. I could not afford to come up each year to do a big trip, so I moved. Way cheaper to hunt and fish as a resident, like by tens of thousands.

19. Rope

Rope

Was thrown a curveball this morning, the cabin I rented for my mid May has winter storm damage and will not be fixed for my time frame. I have rented a cabin the next island over on Hitchenbrook Island, the distance is approximately the same. Took about a hour to recover, from the monkey wrench.

I will be leaving from C (Valdez) was going to A now going to B.

BC92F606-785B-4B6D-907F-ACE6F6CD06AA.png

20. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

I can believe that, how long you been living there now?