In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Spending some time in the stacks

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Skier76, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Skier76

Skier76

It’s been an active week and it was really nice to head up north and get outside today. It was really sunny out with only the sound of the wind and stream. My wife and I spent hours outside workin in the yard. It’s a nice break from all the “noise” happening now with the virus.

I got after the stacks; removing the metal roofing, restacking and splitting. Had a few Red Oak splits Beech, Maple and Locust. As you can see from the last pic, low humidity! Even the rounds are checking.

Enjoying a beverage inside now. I’ll surely get the wood stove going later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Looks like a very serene place to make firewood.

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

For sure getting out and working with the wood is good medicine! Good for you.

As for the checking, it really does not mean much except for the fact that it is drying well but only at the ends.

4. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Very nice spot for sure. I could only dream of a spot like that. Yesterday was a great day here to be working outside although my time was limited to only a couple hours late in the afternoon due to my work schedule.
    As lucky as we have been with weather this year I am really looking forward to spring.

5. Skier76

Skier76

Thanks guys! It was also good to move around! I sat in a lot of meeting last week, so physical activity felt great.

We love our spot in VT. We're only on an acre, but it's one of the last houses on a dirt road and there's a lot of woods surrounding the entire neighborhood. You really feel like you are "getting away" when you get up here from Southern New England.

If I'm required to work from home for a period of time, I may split my time between CT and VT to change my scenery. I'm a people person, so sitting home alone in the same spot for 8+ hours a day is not easy for me!

6. Skier76

Skier76

More splitting today and yesterday. Both days sunny and pleasant. Couldn’t ask for much more. My wife helped stack. In fact, she insisted on stacking. It was fun working together.

[​IMG]

Some Red Oak and Black Locust:
    [​IMG]

7. Erik B

Erik B

Looked like she did a good job.:thumbs::thumbs:

8. Skier76

Skier76

She did! Said a number of times she wanted the stacks neat and even.

9. Erik B

Erik B

Was she insinuating that she does a better job of stacking than you do?:whistle::zip:

10. Skier76

Skier76

Absolutely! She's currently on the phone with her parents. She made it very clear to her father: "I stack much neater than he does!"

11. Erik B

Erik B

She certainly sounds like a good 'keeper'. Treat her right.:thumbs::thumbs::emptywallet::emptywallet:

12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

sounds like you should :zip: and let her:yes:

13. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Nice work. I live Vermont for a getaway. This new life working remotely is a challenge, but at least there you are away from people and temptation to go out. Enjoy, and nice work!

14. Sourwood

Sourwood

Well, at my place that would be the only way they would be neat and even. Mine end up that way most times because they don’t fall over if they are. My holsen houses are pretty rickety, but it I gots plenty to do, than add 30% more work time to make them look pretty behind my shop.

15. Skier76

Skier76

Thanks all! Married for 16 years this coming June, together for 23 this September. Times flies!

We're lucky we can zip up there and get away from things in about 2 hours. It's like a different world. My wife and I were walking in CT yesterday evening and noticed how close houses and yards are. In Vt, out the back door, over a bridge and we're in the woods.

Luckily, we have highspeed internet there, so I can work from home there if needed. We may split our time these next few weeks.

16. Skier76

Skier76

A little splitting today on the upper stacks. Moved all the splits to the lower stacks for seasoning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Midwinter and buZZsaw BRAD like this.