In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Soybean waffles - high protein breakfast

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Woodwidow, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Been meaning to post this for a while. I have a cook book called Oats, Peas, Beans and Barley Cookbook. If anyone is looking for protein substitutes, this has everything you need to know. It is very old and I don't know if it is still in print but used bookstores may have copies.

Start by soaking the soybeans. I put them to soak the night before.

100_0968.JPG

The next morning they look like this. I drain them, spread them out on a cookie sheet and freeze them so I always have some on hand to make waffles.

100_0982.JPG

In a blender I put 2 1/4 c water, 1 c soaked beans, 1 1/2 c oatmeal, 1 tbsp oil, 1/4 tsp salt.

100_0962.JPG

100_0963.JPG

Then blend so it looks like this.

100_0964.JPG

After you blend it, let it sit and thicken while you heat up the waffle iron. Give the iron a spray with oil as these will stick if the iron isn't treated. Pour enough on to cover the waffle iron.

100_0965.JPG

Put the lid down and cook for 8 to 9 mins. NO peeking! They come out looking like this.

100_0967.JPG

Served with fruit syrup or peanut butter and jam or just maple syrup (maybe homemade Hickory Bark syrup) Lots of protein and sticks with you for a while. Campinspecter usually has two this size and I have one.

campinspecter and milleo like this.
  2. milleo

milleo

I can smell them...Lol...Look yummy....

3. Mr A

Mr A

Looks good, but soy is controversial for raising estrogen levels, not something desirable for hard working men that need more testosterone to maintain muscle mass, and work harder. Soy is not a good protein. Soy bean is best for cheap animal feed, in my opinion. Fermented soy is something different, tofu, and it's nutrition is more more biologically available to humans, the only food developed from soy for human consumption prior to the 20th century. Lentils, dried split peas, and chick peas are the best high protein beans. eat broccoli for it's anti estrogen qualities. Still, don't see how this fits into a smoking meat forum? Unless you cooked them in the wood stove!

4. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    The recipe can also be made with Chick peas instead of soybean.

You got me there. Definitely not smoking meat. Slow time of year for BBQ and smoking unless you are really determined like some of the members. I guess you would call me the appetizer entertainer until the real season starts. :D

campinspecter and mdavlee like this.
  5. Mr A

Mr A

Good time to cold smoke some bacon!

Woodwidow likes this.
  6. savemoney

savemoney

whey protein is also good as long as you are not lactose intolerant. I agree, soy is not in my diet and I won't let my pets have it. Need to eat a whole lot more legumes.

Woodwidow likes this.