In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Snowbees here..

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by corncob, Mar 10, 2023.

1. corncob

corncob

Got up at 3am to whizz (what happens when you get old like me) and no snow. Went back to bed and got up at 7am and there is a lot of snow and it's snowing to beat the band right now. Supposed to get 3-6 today. Already 3 on the ground and windy. Winter isn't over with here in SE Michigan, far from it.

Don't have to be anywhere pressing until Monday. By that time things should be peachy. I bet it's dodgem on the roads this morning. The bump shops will be busy fixing the 'accidents' and I bet most will be the notorious SUV's too.

Storm is heading east so it will be in New England by Saturday I suspect.

Biomass stoves are chugging along as usual. 71 in here with 50% RH. Just where I like it to be.

2. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

We got an inch or two overnight here in SW Michigan. Can still see just the tips of the grass. Driveway and concrete patio are 95% bare. Supposed to snow to 2 today but it's letting up a bit now. Calling for more here Sunday and Monday evenings.

Screwloose and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Its supposed to come our way later tonight into tomorrow morning. Gonna muck up all the St paddies day parades. But should have the pub traffic down a lil.

Need to get me some french toast fixins pronto!! :D

4. corncob

corncob

I'm is SE lower Michigan myself and we have appreciably more than you and it's still snowing, heavy wet snow as the temp is right at 31 degrees. Supposed to get real cold next week however. I suspect we will be using the propane furnace in addition to the biomass stove. When it gets real cold here and windy, the biomass stove struggles to keep up and my wife likes it toasty inside.

5. bogieb

bogieb

I still have about 1.5' of snow (maybe 2' but I'm not going out to measure). That system is coming thru this morning but should mostly go south. It is the Monday thru Wednesday storm that might be a problem. It's supposed to turn into a Nor'Easter. Now whether it dumps all snow or dumps a bunch of mixed chit is the question. Oh yeah, Tuesday is local elections plus town meetings for a lot of towns (mine included).

6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Not looking forward to this one! I was actually starting to get some yard work done before these late winter won't go away storms started on us.

bogieb and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

Had to get up only once? Lucky!

4" yesterday. More predicted for today but nothing as of yet.

27" on the ground before the 4" fell.

8. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

At least someone got a winter this year. Down on the southern boarder we'd get a snow storm then 3 days later it would be in the 40-50s. :hair:

9. corncob

corncob

if you can, be sure to attend. We try to attend all township meetings and voice our concerns. Non attendance is like not voting. Non participation equals no voice and that applies to elections as well. We vote in every election, always have.

It's staying just above freezing here so the snow that fell is about gone now, replaced with mud. Out here you have mud or dust depending on the season with snow as well.

next week is a 'non week' for me, 4 days in the hospital getting my infusion of poison. One more time (in a month) and I'm all done. Been hell this winter dealing with it. After infusion, the firat 2 weeks are a pizzer. After that as the chemo exits my body, things get better and the final week before infusion, I can actually function like a person and then I get to repeat it again.

I guess the alternative isn't that good either. Non Hodgkins Lymphoma is fatal if untreated and I want to keep going for a while yet. It's in remission presently but my Oncologist wants to make sure it's gone. Problem is, he has no idea what I have to go through but then none of them (medical) people do really.

I hate being in the hospital for 4 days. For me, it's like a prison sentence and getting constantly poked and prodded don't help either. Hard to sleep with the IV in my port and nurses constantly waking me up to' check' on me. Oh well, I'll do what I have to do.

I'll be shutting down the biomass stove Sunday and cleaning it. Be heating with propane next week. My wife prefers that, so do I actually. Easier for her to deal with.

73 and counting.... I'm an old fart now.

10. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Hang in there and do what the tell you. Your in our prayers.

11. Skier76

Skier76

Respect all that you are going through corncob. All the best.

Farmchuck, SmokeyTheBear and Softwood like this.
  12. highland_hunter

highland_hunter

Wife is currently in SE MI visiting family, you can keep her there for a few more days if you like. At least until we get thru the storm coming in here Monday thru Wednesday. Lets me keep the house a little cooler.

Stocked up my pellet pile this morning and got gas for the generator and snow blower. I'm closer to the coast and "some" reports I've seen are for 2-3' :mad:

Backyard was almost clear two weeks ago, currently have about 8" on the ground. Ready for the snow to be over and get on with the warm weather activities.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  13. corncob

corncob

Without answering each comment, all I can say is, I've been dealing with this crap for so long now, it's not a big deal. I know what to expect and what not to. I'm always on the top floor of the hospital and I know all the nurses by first name and they do take good care of me, I just hate the confinement. They want me to do a stem cell transplant, I'm gonna decline. Not that it would bother me but I would be confined in a hospital room for 4-6 weeks and I could not deal with that. I'm an outdoor person. I will say one thing and that is, I'm damm glad I have excellent hospitalization. If I didn't, I'd be bankrupt and living in a cardboard box somewhere.

The other issue is the success rate. it's only 50%. I'll take my chances without doing that. 50-50 isn't good odds and only 2 hospitals do it here and neither are even close to me. either that or Mayo or the Cleveland Clinic. Just not in the cards for me, cost not withstanding. Pushing almost a mil in bills already. Amazing and sad at the same time. Docs know I have a Cadillac plan and they take full advantage of it.

I just don't want this to drag on into my farming season. Getting time to work on equipment any way, not being unable to do anything. Need to either get on with life or die, one of the two.

Not my first rodeo either. I went through this 4 years ago. Different cancer, different outcome. Lets just say I'm missing some parts that I really didn't need anyway and I look like a field dressed deer so I never go shirtless, I'd scare people.

I want to get a few more years out of it if I can. Gonna try like hell, I promise.

14. bogieb

bogieb

I've been attending town meetings since the early 1990's. One was convened, just to get a vote to postpone because of weather (we were already more than a foot into a couple of feet expected) and the road agent was unable to attend because he was out treating roads. His budget always got the biggest discussion, and we were missing a good portion of other normal attendees, so it made sense to delay the meeting.

Best of luck with your treatment.

15. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

X2

16. corncob

corncob

In actuality, luck has little to do with it. More about persistence and being able to deal with the after effects of the rat poison. An understanding wife helps a bunch too. If it wasn't for Amy, I'd be dead in the water. Only one more time after this go around so the end of the tunnel is in sight, I hope.

Today, I'm getting mentally prepared for what is coming Monday by not thinking about it...lol

17. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

There ya go!! Sensible at last.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  18. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

X3 OM!!

imacman and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  19. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

you got up only once?! Amateur!

SmokeyTheBear and imacman like this.