In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Smoking a ham

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by fuelrod, May 30, 2021.

1. fuelrod

fuelrod

A friend from PA brought us a "local butcher shop" ham. It's smoked, but I'm thinking of cooking it (someday) in the smoker. I'm not sure why I've never done this or even remember hearing a discussion about that. Maybe because (around here) a ham dinner is the Mrs. Department.
    I believe that it's a fresh ham and never been frozen if that's a consideration.

huskihl, Chaz, WeldrDave and 3 others like this.
  2. Skier76

Skier76

It's been awhile for me and certainly not a cut like you have. I had good luck smoking a precooked ham from the grocery store in my smoker years ago. Had a really nice smokey flavor to it.

WeldrDave, fuelrod and eatonpcat like this.
  3. BHags

BHags

A "fresh ham" is not smoked or cooked. It's generally a shoulder picnic, or the actual back leg, and will still have the skin on it. If its a "smoked ham", it's generally cooked and already smoked. I'm sure you could smoke it again, but that seems to be overkill.

4. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

I've smoked a few smoked hams before. You're basically just heating it up to temp while adding more flavor. Depending on the wood you use it can end up with an overwhelming smoke flavor. I like to use a nice sticky mopping sauce about halfway through cooking to give it a nice carmelized coating.

Chaz, WeldrDave, fuelrod and 2 others like this.
  5. FTG-05

FTG-05

6. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

I tried smoking a fresh ham once and failed... I tasted like a pork roast. I will be interested to see the replies.

Chaz and eatonpcat like this.
  7. lukem

lukem

Smoke it just like you would anything else. Pull it at 150, rest it, and eat it.
    Use some clean burning fuel....lump charcoal is the best. It already has some smoke on there and you don't want it bitter.

Chaz likes this.
  8. Warner

Warner

You better get some big papers!

:rofl: :lol::thumbs::rofl: :lol::thumbs:

BHags and Chaz like this.