In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Smoked Salmon dinner without all the fuss!!

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by don2222, Jul 4, 2021.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Many of the Salmon recipes on the Internet involve brining and wrapping and putting in the fridge for 4 hours and drying for 1-2 hours by an open window. This is fine for that nice Smokey and salty flavor.
    I wanted a moist smoked Salmon Dinner without all the fuss!
    After a couple of tries, I found that if I set the smoker for 275 Deg F and set the meat probe to 140 until the first filet hits 140 Degs F inside! Then it is done and still perfectly moist!
    This takes 1.5 to 2 hours and bingo. It does not have the full Smokey salty flavor but it is still moist and cooked just right for my taste!
    In preparation, I asked the woman at the fish counter for 5.0 lbs of fresh wild caught Alaskan Silverbrite salmon and for her to cut it to hand size pieces and keep the skin on.
    We brought it home and just used a simple rub dill weed, onion powder, smocked paprika and a little salt! After the smoker was up to 275 Deg F we inserted the meat probe set to 140 Deg F and bingo!
    Fresh cooked super moist salmon without all the fuss!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Oh man that looks and sounds fantastic. Ever try it on a cedar plank?

Chaz, wildwest and mat60 like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

4. don2222

don2222

I would like to try it on a cedar plank. Is there one that can fit all this Salmon in one shot?
    Cook area is 26” x 16” or 416 sqin .

The Wood Wolverine and Chaz like this.
  5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Dunno about that. When I’ve used them they were about 12-15” long and a guess on width wood be about 6”.

Chaz likes this.
  6. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I use this recipe on the Virtual Weber Bullet site. It amounts to two hours in the fridge with a salty rub, rinse then dust with a similar rub minus the salt and cook. I use Atlantic Salmon. Same temp as yours, time depends on thickness. Cooking to temp it always comes out perfect.

The usual comment is ‘That’s the best Salmon that I’ve ever had’.