Smogs

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Ward Hoarder, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Had some small pine logs that where in the log pile for about a year. Wanted to get them cut up before they rotted up. Just made some 2"x4"x 8'-10'. It made 2 decent trailer loads of slabs.

Attached Files:

Woodsnwoods, Horkn, M2theB and 7 others like this.
  2. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Nice jag of both lumber and firewood there! Little green trailer that could!

3. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

White pine ?? I just sawed some spruce for a local farmer he needed a 18ft 12x12 for a beam in his barn and all he had was several spruce logs it sawed nice it was a old enough log not to have any sap though he did have one white pine that was full of sap sticky mess but had no trouble sawing I also have some older logs I hope I get time to saw soon one is a 36 inch pine 10 ft looks like you got some nice boards JB

4. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Sawed some more of the small logs today. 2x4 and 2x6. Used blades that I sharpened on my new woodmizer sharpener/ Setter Combo. Well pleased with the results.

Attached Files:

5. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Nice lumber! Glad the sharpening setup worked out.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  6. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Looks good nice that you can do your own blades I have not got into the sharpening yet I still send the blades to re-sharp here in Pa I just do not have time between the saw shop and regular job and sawing I need 28 hour days I do know they recommend you clean blades well before you sharpen them I see you saw a lot of softwood do you have any issues with cleaning the sap off blades ? also do you only use one blade profile I switch between 7 degree for softwoods and 10 degree bi-metal for locust and other hardwoods

Chazsbetterhalf and metalcuttr like this.
  7. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

I do saw alot of pine. We have had alot of wind storms over the last year and a half. Blow overs, tops broken out. Just cleaning up the mess. I also help our elderly neighbors with tree clean up. Win win situation. I use dish soap and simple green in the water and use a plenty of it, also at the end of the day run it with the water opened up and flood with water.

I only have 10⁰/30⁰ blades. I only have the 10⁰ CBN wheel. You would have to get a 7⁰ wheel also.

I spend a little time prepping the blade before sharpening, brass wire brush and look for damaged teeth.
    Marty and his family are nice to deal with @ Shade Gap.

Any Questions please message and I will try to help. Still learning

8. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Yes Marty has been to my mill before to help with some problems I had early on usually I do not have to look to close for bad teeth I saw mostly locust and when I find metal that the detector does not pick up it usually ruins the blade I did hit concrete in a log the blade did not like that one bit :picard:it removed a bunch of teeth most of my sawing is with the 10 degree Bi-Metal blades 11/2 wide they really last sawing the locust I am not buying a sharpener anytime soon I just bought a riehl steel edger I hope to get pictures of it this weekend JB

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.