In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Smaller Size Pellet Stove

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by boettg33, Nov 14, 2022.

1. boettg33

boettg33

Pelletheads

I am using 2 electric heaters in our family room that are wall mounted. They do the job(when I have the door closed to the rest of the house. With it open the heaters run on high all the time.), but I am looking for something that would not just benefit this room, but the rooms nearby. Thus I am in search of a reasonable pellet stove for say under $2500.

Before I get into the stoves, I have hearth that was used for the wood stove. The current pipe is 6" wide double walled that goes through the wall and up over the roofline. I know pellet stoves use smaller pipping, but am I able to tie into the existing?

Some key features I am looking for:
    1. Either the ability to control via an over wi-fi that allows schedules, or a thermostat with the stove that allows me to do the same.
    2. Easy of use/cleaning. (With the wood stove, I don't need to do much in the way of maintenance during burn season other than cleaning out the ash. Yes I visually check everything inside to ensure nothing is broken.)
    Some stoves I found on Facebook Market Place:

In doing some research I've found these:
    • Quadra-Fire - Outfitter I starting at $1999.
    • Castle Serenity Wood Pellet (it keeps coming up on all lists, but see complaints about the thermostat that comes with the unit. Can that be replaced or bypassed?)
    • Drolet ECO -55 T Pellet Stove
    • Comfortbilt Pellet Stove HP22
    • Cleveland Iron Works PS60-CIW Pellet Stove

Thank you

Jason

imacman likes this.
  2. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

Jason,
    It sounds like you are basically set up for a pellet stove on your hearth setup.
    Almost any Pellet stove can be used.
    They sell pelletvent-6" liner adapters
    Each Venting Manufacturer will make their own version of an adapter. You usually cannot mix-n-match brands.
    Here is a Duravent Adapter available at the Orange Box Store
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraVen...e-Wall-Chimney-Pipe-Adapter-3PVL-X6/100679686

But, It will depend on whichever pellet stove you purchase and what it has for vent diameter. Many stoves use 3" but, some use 4".
    You will need
    1. an appliance adapter to go from the stove to the vent
    2. 3" or 4" pellet vent pipe(s)/elbows/clean out T/ etc. to go from your appliance adapter up to the 6" adapter
    3. The 6" adapter itself
    4. New to you Pellet stove. Many to choose from.

For single room heating something in the 35000 BTU range would be fine.
    But if you are like most of us....plan on using it for more and you won't be disappointed getting a larger stove in the 50-60K BTU range

Picking a stove brand is like asking favorite child. Everyone has opinions.
    Pellet stoves are maintenance intensive they need cleaning frequently
    If you buy a used stove you will need to be handy or have a large checkbook for repairs.
    They are not for everyone.

Of the stoves you have listed I've heard of the first 3 brands but I'm not familiar with any of them.

I have a stove setup that I'm looking to move out of my Girlfriends Grandmothers place on Cape Cod that would probably work for you.
    PM me for details if you are interested.
    --Nailer---

imacman, PelletHound and boettg33 like this.
  3. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

If you can cough up a little more $, and can find a new Harman p43, you'd be able to catch the 26% federal tax credit this year and get a $1034 back. Technically that's a little over $400 bucks more than you want to spend.

You can run your pellet vent to the class A adapter where you're wall pass thru is. Sometimes a pellet masonry adapter fits right into the class A as well. (Duravent p/n 3pvpx6 or 3pam)

Outside of a gas stove, it's rare to find any freestanding stoves with wifi or an app. I believe the fear is if someone leaves something combustible on top and another person tries to turn it on, there is the fire potential

4. bogieb

bogieb

My first thought is to understand the pellet situation in your area. Around here, pellet prices have sky-rocketed and in some areas pellets can't be found. So you need to know if you'lll have any fuel to burn and how much that fuel will cost if you put a stove in.

I would dare to say that you can put a programmable, and perhaps a wi-fi capable thermostat on pretty much any stove (I'm usre there are exceptions). Both my P-series Harmans are on wired remote thermostats, but I know there are wireless thermostats out there (skytech?)

If you want ease of maintenance, a Harman P-series also fits the bill, but they aren't what one would term "pretty", so if looks are important then that is a different story.

5. Rich250

Rich250

Of the stoves you have listed both the Serenity and the Comfortbilt have controllers that allow for scheduling, the problem with the Serenity is that it does not shutdown when set temp. is reached it just continues to burn on the lowest heat setting, the comfortbilt does shut down when the set temp is reached. but neither work over wifi. My Harman Allure controller does scheduling and I love it.

imacman likes this.
  6. boettg33

boettg33

Thanks. The person that supplies me with the ENVi-8 blocks which are Barefoot. He can get me at least 1 ton of Barefoot pellets, and most likely a second if I need it. Last weekend I picked up my first ton of blocks and he told me that as of Nov 1st his supplier shutdown. Not enough product coming in to make the blocks/pellets. After they shutdown, he waited a couple days and called back. They told him they should be able to get him another trailer load.

Price wise he went from $335/ton at the start of his selling to $365/ton for the last couple of trailers he received. If he gets this next load, it will be $395/ton.

imacman, BHags, bogieb and 1 other person like this.
  7. GHinNH

GHinNH

Although not completely checking all the boxes,, I will suggest a Enviro Mini. It is an exceptionally well built rugged stove that requires little maintenance other than regular cleaning. The best part is it has enough control to adapt it to the pellet being used, which changes from manufacturer to manufacture and even yearly.

It has the capability to hook up a thermostat of your choice to run automatically, I'm certain there are WiFi and Blutooth capable.

Many pellet stoves have nooks and crannies that have small access plates the need removing to vacuum out ashes, just the nature of things. The Enviro has 3 little plates behind the removable ash drawer that need moving away to vac the passage. Other than that there is only normal regular cleaning.

8. imacman

imacman

Let me add that the Mini is VERY quiet.

9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Another vote for the mini.

imacman likes this.