In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Six pack exchange

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by mrfancyplants, Mar 21, 2020.

1. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I had some tree guys drop off a truck load after they filled their chipping machine. Red oak and red? Maple.. might be silver. It is not the easy splitting I am used to.. and I’ll have to break it down into manageable sizes before I move it. Maybe some noodling in my future. I was thinking of building a holthauzen (sp?) for some of the oak since I’ll be waiting a while for it either way.

2. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

It does look sorta like red maple. Sure beats car hoarding, anyway! Did you triangulate the sound of chainsaws, and hunt them down?

whitey, T.Jeff Veal, dahmer and 7 others like this.
  4. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

More or less, sound triangulation while taking the kids for a ride in the bike trailer.

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice score! Dontcha love the sound of a nearby chain saw when you step out side? :dancer:
    Some big uns! Yeah, quartering of noodling in your near future. Quite possible red maple based on the spalting.
    You might be a wood hoarder if your cell phone ring tone is a chain saw running!

6. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Ouch, I was working on splitting this up and my elbow started hurting and now the shoulder is feeling it too.. I should have started with the noodling. I think I can do sledge and wedge w the left arm.

7. Midwinter

Midwinter

Big red maple rounds are really tough! I always have to wedge them.

8. Skier76

Skier76

I’ll go with Maple on that haul. Red oak is more uniformly red throughout when split.

Nice score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. dahmer

dahmer

I won’t venture a guess as to what type of maple it is but definitely not silver.

10. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

There is some of both, the oak is in the middle and back right. bark looks much smoother.
    The maple bark matches the red maple in my yard pretty closely. It thought it was more textured bark until I did a side by side.
    There is actually a standing red maple in the top left of that photo.

11. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I’m wondering if the term “crotchety,” as in “crotchety old man” might come come from branch-ed sections of trunk, because these red maple sections certainly are stubborn. The red oak I got through with minimal noodling to get the wedges started, mostly lefty, since I’ve been trying to let the shoulder/ elbow rest a bit. But, one red maple section, after noodling twice, I still managed to bury three wedges in it.
    I’m thinking tomorrow I may flip them and give them another go with the isocore.
    In high school, I was a swimmer and made state in the 500m. In my more recent years, before kids, I did the bay bridge swim of 4.4 miles open water, and came in first in the board shorts division. There is no board shorts devision, I was the only one, but given my surfing background I knew I would over-heat in a wetsuit, and I wasn’t feeling the speedo either.
    Anyways, I’ve had shoulder flare ups before, but never swinging an ax. I wonder if the isocore might have contributed, but these are stubborn rounds no matter how you slice, split, noodle them. Being in IT, I switched to mousing lefty a good ten years ago to relieve some of the inflammation on the primary arm. I think less dangerous than trying to split ambidextrous though. No where near the power if I try to split lefty.

12. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    LOL :emb::whistle: I may know someone who is typing this response right now that even has the sound for my alarm clock set to a recording of a chainsaw.

13. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I had that ring-tone on my old phone , I need to look for that again , will make sure I set that as your tone Brad.

Right now I have a dog bark as my ring tone however my wife has her own special tone = crickets chirping. Kind of what I hear sometimes when she is talking to me:whistle:

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

That will wake you in a hurry!

dahmer and Chazsbetterhalf like this.