In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Shutdown Sawing

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by JB Sawman, Apr 11, 2020.

1. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I got sent home from job A for 2 weeks probably a good thing sawed for 6 days in a row 2100 bd ft black locust left in 6x6 4x4 and 16ft 1x6 also did some custom sawing generated some off cut lumber I have to move now also sawed 40 1x6 x12 ash boards for a floor I have to saw a big walnut tomorrow customers log hope its metal free!! first picture 2nd picture is some of the locust slabwood I sold another pile like this so I could start filling the pallet again 3rd picture is locust,ash,and some oak generated while sawing orders there is another pile of locust 1x6 behind the oak last picture is a surprise in the one locust log DSCN0333.JPG DSCN0330.JPG DSCN0331.JPG DSCN0332.JPG

2. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Holy comoly, glad you found that before slicing and dicing with the sawmill!!

mat60, Horkn, metalcuttr and 4 others like this.
  3. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

the other side of log the eye bolts stick out this load of logs had a lot of metal a lot went to firewood that MDI metal detector was a good investment some of the metal was buried in the logs good side was the tree service gave me the whole load and I have been able to salvage about 900 bdft so far out of the load plus a lot of firewood JB

Reddingnative, mat60, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  4. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

What do you do with the slabs of the mill?

mat60, Horkn, metalcuttr and 3 others like this.
  5. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Most of the slabwood has the bark on the other side those all go for firewood any that are to irregular for a board sometimes I can sell for live edge craft boards but the pig pallet of slabwood in the picture went to firewood 100.00 for the pile it was a good cord of locust I just loaded on the customers trailer with the excavator I just end up with so much off the ugly logs I cannot keep all of it I run out of storage room

6. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

How hard is locust ? Is it good firewood ?

7. mat60

mat60

Older thread but what a great setup and nice looking lumber.

8. Horkn

Horkn

Very hard, high BTU firewood. You won't find much better firewood out there than locust.
    28 mbtu a cord, so much better than any oak, and it dries quicker.

9. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Wow !
    We only have White and Black spruce, aspen, Balsam poplar, and birch . Here. Birch is the best of what we have here.
    It keeps the house warm is about the best that can be said about it.
    Lots of battle killed white spruce that is pretty dry just standing there and in some places fire killed . We've had some big fires around here .

10. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Also makes the longest lasting, strongest fence posts. We used to cultivate a locust grove for posts. After cutting the 6" at the butt tree for a post, shoots wood come off the main lateral root and grow more posts. Made for a strong horse fence.

metalcuttr, mat60, JB Sawman and 4 others like this.
  11. fuelrod

fuelrod

Locust story,
    Back in about 1995 I hung a 16' gate on a locust post. For the "catch" or the post that the gate got chained to while closed, I pounded in a normal RR tie. Several years ago (2-3) the RR tie fell over while the locust post is still to this day hanging on it.:salute:

12. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I do like sawing locust it can be frustrating at times to get good logs but the end result is always worth it JB