In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Short lived maul handle

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by JW IN VA, Dec 17, 2019.

1. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

End of my sledge eye maul handle had broken part of the way so I had my wife pick up a new handle at a box store.Nice looking one and fit in the head well,Put the wedges in and ready to go.
    I was getting used to the longer length since this one was a 36" and my old one was around 30 to 32.A moments' inattention and a big hickory block broke the head away and put a big split back the handle so I cant even shorten it.
    New,shorter handle on the way from House Handle.Might even wrap this one behind the head or put a collar on this time like I should have before.

2. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

New handle is here and waiting on me.I am going to be more careful to get the grain orientation right this time.That may have been a factor before.Still deciding on what to use for a guard. Wranglerstar's rope and epoxy look interesting.So does the rubber bumper collar I already have.

3. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Dont forget to take some fotos :ithappened:, a broken handle..... :fart:

metalcuttr and BigPapi like this.
  4. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

Ya gotta perfect yer aim. That said, I've knocked dead my share of handles too.

5. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

Part of the problem was from putting a 36" handle on a maul that I had a 32" on and hadn't gotten used to it yet. I'm wondering now which I should use to replace it with,especially since this will be a backup or spare wedge.I have a six pounder that needs rehandled.Might use the shorter one on it.
    My main interest is keeping the handle from being chewed up from the wood splinters.While I do make a miscalculation once in awhile,my aim is usually pretty good.

6. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I do not do any hand splitting anymore both rotator cuffs are junk one was repaired so I do not want to risk it but I still keep my monster maul around that was all steel and I never managed to break that handle like I broke sledge handles when doing undercarriage work but I am sure that steel handle did not do my shoulders any favors :pain:

7. BigPapi

BigPapi

I've wrapped half a roll of electrical tape around the haft just behind the head to extend life. Moderately successful - easy to replace if it splits off.

JW IN VA and metalcuttr like this.
  8. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

I broke a few handles years ago. Tried a couple things like the rubber bumper deal and wrapping it, found it just got in the way, got torn up going through & didn't last. refining my aim and just getting more experience made all the difference. Haven't broken one in years.
    That said, the replacement handles from the big box stores really suck. Every once in a while I go into an old lumber yard or hardware store that still has old stock on hand and I buy one or two just to have on hand. Also started riving green Hickory when I get a good log and keeping stock on hand to make my own handles when needed.

metalcuttr and JW IN VA like this.