In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

sewing machine? tarps, pants

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Camber, May 16, 2020.

1. Camber

Camber

singer 4452. I just bought a sewing machine for about 60 dollars new. I realized I have so many tarps, and rolls of house wrap, that I would like to do some projects. I havent sewn with a machine since the 80s. I also go through two carhartt quilted bibs a year, plus about 8 pairs of double knee pants. only information I cant seem to find is what thread and needle size to order for the sewing machine. This is probably a crazy place to post this, but I figured somebody out there still fixes their pants or sews boat stuff.
    would anybody have any advice on sewing tarps, or fixing knees on heavy work pants?

2. Camber

Camber

3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

4. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Nice machine. You should be good for a while using that. Buy leather (for the tarps) or Jean (for the pants) needles for the machine. They are heavier quality and punch through heavy material better. Universal needles are more for sewing cottons and dress material weight. As to thread, I use regular thread and double it. Wind double thread into the bobbin and thread double thread through the top. Have patience threading the needle with double thread. I did buy some thread from an upholstery shop for sail covers but it is a little tricky to work with. You might want to check out your upholstery shop or fabric store. They may have some recommendation on thread.

To put patches on knees is not fun. It is easier if you open up the inseam of the pants, put the patch on and then sew up the inseam. I finish the patch edges with my serger but you could use a zigzag stitch, straight stitch the patch to the pants all around the edges and then use a darning zigzag stitch to go around the hole in the jeans. I looked at the box and in your 6 essential stitches is a zigzag stitch that stitches across the zigzag. That is the one I would use the most for this. If you aren't concerned about looks, the patch works better on the outside of the pants. Save a couple pairs of older pants and use the lower part of the legs for patches.

When sewing tarps, keep a bar of soap handy. If the tarp wants to go up and down with the needle, rub the needle with soap.

5. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I went and looked the box again. You might have trouble using the needle threader with double thread. I haven't tried it on my new machine yet.

I can't believe what you paid for it. Not up here in Canada would it be that price.

6. Camber

Camber

Wow! Great advice. I will have my wife print this out. I am along way from a fabric store other than walmart which is 50 miles away. I will order some leather needles, and Jean needles. I need to do some googling for the double thread. I do have lots of worn out dickies and carhart pants, and figured to try to use some light weight saddle blankets for my quilted bibs. I really appreciate the info, and advice! thanks a bunch

7. Camber

Camber

The website may be a little shady, I see they took my money, but didnt send me a invoice yet. the dirt cheap price is why I bought it. All of our thrift shops are still shut down, so that isnt really an option. I wish they still had home ec classes in school, but they got rid of them some years ago I guess. To bad. My daughter wishes they still had this stuff.

8. Screwloose

Screwloose

Wow ? leather tarps are way above my pay grade.

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I believe she was telling him the right kind of needle to buy for tarps, that happens to be called a "leather needle" :)

10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

You know, I looked around on the internet, how did you pay, CC or Paypal? I'd dispute immediately and call your card in lost if it was a CC. Looks like they are charging CC's for weird stuff and of course the product never existed.
    Teenserge | Business Details | Better Business Bureau® Profile

organd.top is under the very long list of alternative names.

Organd.top >> 1 Complaints and Reviews | #ReportScam

1 REVIEW

• [​IMG]
      Brian Kendall 05/13/2020 at 03:43 AM

This guy, from China, his name is Xiao Ming Zhu is a scammer. He takes pictures off of EBay of real auctions and builds adds on his website. He even copies and pastes descriptions from the real EBay auction. He takes credit cards and PayPal. No one ever receives anything the buy from him

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  11. chris

chris

Depending on your machine- it is sometimes better to use a standard size needle than the heavy duty jean ones- some machines do not have enough omph to punch the needle through. Particularly where you might have 3 or more layers . Those jean needles make a big hole . I usually wear my jeans out to the point of being thread bear and to the point that even the various seams are shot. ( short story caught an older pair on something at shop- just about disintergated on me, stapled back together ( it was rather chilly down by the privates area and ran over to store for another pair) Now I keep an extra old pair at the shop just in case. Used to always get my shoes resoled- the stuff out there now is throw away for the most part. Can't seem to get my electric much below $55/month, every time I make a change the prices go up. Wood stove and all new glass assemblies in windows cut propane usage from $1600 to apx $300 for the a year total. so savings there will pay off cost of window repair after next year ( 2 year payback). Now my propane water heater , standing pilot, its only 29 years old- figure I will have to pony up for a replacement- my goodness those have become expensive. Got sucked in on a new fancy no agitator washer lasted about 5 years , got an old style agitator one, used, does a better job _ mechanical timer. No mortgage but a car payment for a little used suv 28mpg vs my diesel F250 as I run 95 miles a day- thought about one of those electric ( too pricy even used) or part electric units ( same). Critters and weather took out garden last year. Lilkely get a 1/4 or 1/2 steer later this summer- do my own slicing and grinding. blew my one shot at venison, didn't hold off enough for gale that was blowing. Never saw anything else , this is out the back door. I will stick some goodies in the ground a bit later for them- and then add some more in Sept. to carry into Dec. Its just me and the 2 pups now days.

12. In the Pines

In the Pines

Did you get it yet? Or waiting to receive? I might buy that for my mom if it is legit.

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I just edited my post above, take a peek

14. Camber

Camber

crapola! I wish I were more savvy to this kind of stuff. I did pay with cc. I cant set up pay pal for some reason, or I would have bought a little chainsaw off palletpete a year ago. bummer. the number on the website was no good at all. China. Oh China.

15. Camber

Camber

Ill keep that in mind. I write off all my pants for work, but it is still money out the door. I have boxes of old stuff I keep for no reason. I hope I didn't get scammed, but it is not looking good.

Chazsbetterhalf, Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  16. Camber

Camber

Not Yet. I would not order anything from that place at all yet. I will let you know if I ever hear back.

17. In the Pines

In the Pines

good to know, I was burnt at xmas time buying stuff too good to be true.. Bank wouldn't help at all, best to do this purchase with a CC so you can dispute and get your money back.

18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm confident the CC company will reimburse you, call it in or do it online and "Dispute" it. I'm more worried you will get a bunch or weird charges on that card, so calling it in lost would be a good idea. Don't feel bad, those sites are everywhere nowdays and very tempting. I have one that advertises womens clothing, and they are really nice looking clothes, I get the same ads pop up month after month with the name of the store/website slightly different every month or 3.

Chazsbetterhalf, Eric VW and Camber like this.
  19. Camber

Camber

Thanks. total scam. I really did not know how much to pay for a sewing machine, so I was ignorant as to what was too good to be true. I cant cancel my card. I paid with a visa debit card, that only has the local number on it. They will not open until Monday. Funny, I just talked to our retired town judge. She is giving me one she bought in the 70s, I guess it is heavy duty. has a stand and a ton of stuff. No more online shopping until I can educate myself on scams. Thanks wildwest, and everybody else.

20. In the Pines

In the Pines

it happens to the best and savvy. I think I'm pretty savvy but like I said I was suckered, mainly because I impulsed bought instead of doing my research like I normally would.
    I'm still kicking myself over it, 80$ purchase of boots and they sent me a burberry scarf.. I doubt it is even real lol
    edit to add I just searched for their site and scam and it's a pretty new site fwiw.
    On the plus side if it means anything they do list a contact number and a USA address..
    but than there is this.. Organd.top >> 1 Complaints and Reviews | #ReportScam

Chazsbetterhalf, Eric VW and Camber like this.