In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Separation anxiety

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Stoveaclaus, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoveaclaus

Stoveaclaus

My friend and aspiring stovesman, Bobby Maple, is having trouble burning his wood. It seems he has a touch of separation anxiety. Its hard for him to watch his hard work go up in flames. I'm quite opposite. I love burning my wood and knowing that my hard work is heating my house. Any recommendations for Bobby Maple? The boy needs some encouragement! ASNR!!

2. Horkn

Horkn

He needs to see that his utility bills are dramatically lower, and the house is warmer from wood heat as well.

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Have enough "inventory" on hand, to refill the stacks as they empty.

4. Stoveaclaus

Stoveaclaus

That's true. The boy has oil heat. :doh:

5. Stoveaclaus

Stoveaclaus

I keep telling him that a stovesman never rests. We are constantly scouring the web for free rounds. I think much of the problem has to do with his failure to prepare. Failure to prepare= prepare to fail. 2 year plan AT MINIMUM!!!! ASNR!

6. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

Bobby Maple is not a Stovesman. A Stovesman actually works and gives back to the Stove community. Bobby Maple only looks for handouts under the cover of “just trying to learn”. Here are some of his issues
    - does not own a saw
    -does not get his own wood just asks for handouts
    -wears high top sneakers
    -once asked us what to do when he hit the wood with his Axe and it wouldn’t split. We said hit it harder
    -broke his axe handle using the wooden end to noodle a log instead of the steal
    -has wet wood piled 6 feet high up against his house
    -won’t come to free wood hoards and then complains that wood is not delivered to him
    Etc
    Etc

embarrassing

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

VERY TRUE! Im trying to convince my friend of the same. He will cut for next Winter only. Doesnt look farther ahead.
    As scroungers we hafta be on the lookout for wood at all times. Having a nice wooded lot would be great but we dont. I sort of do but getting wood out is a major PITA.
    Make a plan for the three of you to go cut and process. Some buddy time maybe. Is it "work" for him whereas most of us enjoy scrounging/making firewood? That may be part of the problem.
    A
    Wood
    Hoarder
    Never
    Rests!
    I can associate with him...I have separation anxiety from my money!:emptywallet::tears: :(

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  8. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

We have. He comes up with excuses to not work every time. It getting tiring

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

All you have to do is wait until it gets colder. I mean, really cold!

Then he'll start burning his wood and wish he had more!

:handshake:

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

How long have you two been burning? Doesnt he see what the both of you do and whats involved? Sounds like the "novelty" has worn off and he realizes "its work"??? I see that with folks all the time! Any type of barter you guys can do with him? Im sort of doing the same with my friend. He lets me store wood at his place and i give him with a cord of unsplit rounds annually.

11. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

No way to barter here. He’s Stoveaclauses personal childhood friend. Just real lazy and full of excuses. Everything he has is from us already mostly with help from Stoveaclause

I’ve had a stove insert since Hurricane Sandy at my house but have had one at my parents for 30 years. Stoveaclause just came on board last year. Ive only been on the 2 year plan because of a lack of storage space at my house. Pool wife kids etc

Me and Stoveaclause have worked hard the last year and with our connections and some help from friends (Not Bobby Maple) we have 4-5 years of rounds drying and all we can ever use coming. Plus 2 years worth of splits

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats too bad. One reason i dont have friends for too long. I give, give, give and dont get the same in return and dont ask.
    Helped a "friend" move some heavy furniture up two flights of stairs for a couple hours. Lives 45 minutes away. Said he'd buy me lunch. Got PO'ed at me when i asked for it a couple weeks later when i saw him again. A simple grinder too! No longer friends!
    IMO cut him off from your firewood!

13. yooperdave

yooperdave

That's the difference between a helping hand and a handout.

[​IMG]

14. saewoody

saewoody

I’m with you on that! My wife said to me the other day, “You aren’t bringing any more wood home this year, right?” In her defense, the yard is getting pretty tight. I don’t know how I’m going to explain when a tree guy I recently met drops off some maple this week. I also had to explain to her why I needed to go to his lot on Sunday to cut and load some white oak to bring home. There is another white oak waiting for me to come back and get it.

I also had a co worker ask me yesterday if I was interested in some wood. I had to sheepishly tell my wife that I had to make a stop after work. I can’t lie to her, so when she asked what for, I told her. She said “I thought you were done collecting for the year?” I was lucky enough that my coworker agreed to let me split and stack the wood in her back yard; and I can go back for it in the spring. It’s at least a cord plus of nice maple.

I’ve got several people offer me wood lately. It’s hard to say no. So I try not to.

Scrounge on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Ron T

Ron T

My dad always said to choose your friends wisely.

16. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

You should offer her wood!

.....it was too easy I had to. You teed that one up

17. billb3

billb3

I can say I've experienced some angst with having to actually use some of my oak hoard.
    It's tough to even think of 10 cords becoming less than 10 cords.
    I don't call it separation anxiety though. I call it hoarding disorder.
    I found it helps to burn pine. It eases one into the burning season and you work up to burning the good stuff in incremental stages .
    It also helps a little when you have 10 cords but only need 2. A little.
    One day at a time.

18. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Have him burn some green wood, that outta keep him motivated.

19. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

He does. Regularly!!!

20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Doesn't sound like you can help him much, but perhaps it is worth it to keep trying. One of the best methods I've ever found was to have someone drop in to your house on a really cold day; especially when they've been working outdoors. There is magic in feeling that wood heat the minute you step into that doorway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.