In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sellers: Do you separate out dead from green?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Apr 4, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Having just delivered a load to a far out of towner just for their firepit and cutting a load of dead/down wood yesterday led me to this question. Do you mix dead with green when stacking or separate out each? My buyer may want more so i put the dead aside in its own stack and may harvest more for this purpose. The red maple from yesterday i split smaller and the bark was loose. It'll be ready by July. If they want more i may just mix it with fungied oak.
    What you say sellers?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  2. jrider

jrider

I don’t separate

3. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

I separate. Generally, I know that I can burn dead during the next burn season and the stuff that needs to season will likely be in the stack at least one full year.. I put less effort into my “this year” stacks which saves me time and allows my “future years” stacks to remain untouched thus increasing the number of years of supply that I have. Everything gets top covered...

4. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

I try to separate, but if it’s mixed it just sits for a year or two. If it’s getting sold soon, I will definitely separate out and cut off an old pile of dead logs.

5. farmer steve

farmer steve

I try and separate when possible. This load yesterday had a mix of mostly dead/dry ash and green cherry. I'll separate it when I split it. 20210407_123151.jpg

6. Chud

Chud

I do not. Everything is stacked together for the most part. I know where the dead ash and cherry is if I had run out of ready wood. Plan is to have enough wood coming on line each year that dead doesn’t require a special place.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.