In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Seeing Red...MAPLE!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Sep 17, 2019.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I posted an add on CL recently seeking firewood. Got a call from a woman in town and went Sunday to check it out. Well on the way there i drive by this. Very fresh cut. Decided to stop as it was nice and i could cut to my specs. Knocked on door and no answer. Drove by last night and wood was still there, no sign either. Went today at noon and knocked. Guy answers and said i could cut and take it all. Two trees from one stump today. 11 & 13" DBH, maybe a face cord cut and loaded in an hour. Bucked it all and backed over curb to load. Easy handling size which was nice. The score i went to look at was tree service cut red oak from the tornado last year. All different lengths but the right one, big and gnarly too. Doubt ill go back.
    The wood way in back of this pic is tomorrow's load!:tree: IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    Huge heavy stump i left for tomorrow. Didnt have Fiskars with me. Ill bring 460 to buck it tomorrow. Used the 290 with 16" bar today. IMG_0901.JPG
    Second tree ill grab tomorrow. IMG_0902.JPG
    Made an improvisional sign so someone like me doesnt take my wood. Ill sleep better tonight. Mebbe ill keep that in the PU just in case for future scores!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Nice grab buZZsaw BRAD , you must have a good amount of firewood in your inventory, nice job.
    IMG_0902.JPG

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Hellcat, imwiley1, Thor and 9 others like this.
  3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

One honey hole dries up. Another takes its place

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

In the neighborhood of 40 cords thewoodlands . Your hoard has been building as well. What do guess your inventory to be?

5. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

How much of that do you sell Brad?

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

at least 75%. A lot will be sold 2020-21 as its been acquired the last several months. Never had this much before. I have time and wood is available to me so it take it. Of course FHC doesnt help either!

7. Yawner

Yawner

Does the ms290 work well with 16" bar? I bought one used and it had a 20 on it and seemed to bog a bit with that. Always thought a 20 is too big.

8. Loon

Loon

Nice grab Buzz.:salute:

A little noodling woulda saved you a trip.:coldone:

[​IMG]

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I cut with a 290 and 16" bar for about 15 years or more and it does great with that setup. 18" bar isn't bad either but yes, a 20" is pushing its limits but does sometimes save some bending. btw, that 290 is still going strong and another member on this forum has it.

brenndatomu likes this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

But why on earth would anyone even consider noodling a soft maple?!

brenndatomu, Loon and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Now this one is interesting!
    Interesting.JPG

brenndatomu, buZZsaw BRAD and Yawner like this.
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

It came with a 16" bar Yawner and up until two Winters ago thats all i had used. The only chain i have for it now is a semi chisel so a tad slower with the 16" Been meaning to buy a couple full chisel Stihl. I had a bunch of chains for it but have filed those down all the way. Bought a used 20" bar and chains for it. It did bog down in some big roadkill ash i was cutting and during some noodling. IME yes a 20" is too big. Im considering getting it ported. A FHC member had his 029 ported this year and loves it. He can run it with a 25" bar.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    brenndatomu and Backwoods Savage like this.
  13. Yawner

Yawner

Another opinion I have often seen on forums is that the 290 is not a good candidate for porting and I think it is because those people don't consider it to have a good power to weight ratio as stock, and that some other saw with a better stock ratio is better to spend the porting money on. It ain't cheap. I dunno, I just pass that along.

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I thought of that, but its pretty big and the 290 with 16" bar sux for that unless its a shorty. If i had Fiskars i wouldve bucked and halved/quartered it.

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive been told that. Sell the 290 and use cash to port my 261 (which i havent used yet)
    The member on here had it done by another member. Both are well known. As im told the piston/cylinder is changed out & ported so the saw is now equal to a base model 036/360/361/362 in terms of power/performance. Did his 362 as well.
    Modifying/in depth repair is not my thing. I do the basic stuff only. I should sell it, but i guess im attached as ive owned it since 2010 and have cut a lot of wood with it based on the missing paint on the bar!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  16. Yawner

Yawner

Ah, that makes more sense. Upgrade the top end, then port it. That might work out well. If I needed something like that, it could make sense but I have a ported 362 and it is bad to the bone. In a heartbeat, if I had a 261, I'd port it instead. The 261 sure has a lot of fans.

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

if the grain is gnarly and hard to split ill do it regardless of species. I like "pretty" firewood i guess. In this case it wouldve made the logs easier to load as i didnt have Fiskars with me.

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

ive watched the tree services take down trees. They cut 4-6' sections and overlap the front and back cuts then "snap" it off. Sometimes ill cut off the end section/lap as it messes up my 16" lengths.

19. unclefess

unclefess Guest

same reason we split horizontal ,to see if you are paying attention :D:rofl: :lol:

20. Loon

Loon

4 packs a day interferes with me working out Sav.:hair::smoke: :coldone:

[​IMG]