In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Seasoning Times

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by bbqhunter, Dec 15, 2014.

1. bbqhunter

bbqhunter

Hi everyone, I just joined up and I don't know why I haven't found you all earlier, this is my kinda place. I've been splitting wood for about 34 years now, and I most burned in a large open fireplace, just for the looks and cooking, love cooking in my fireplace. "Dirty

But things have changed for me and I purchased a new Regency CI2600 insert, if anyone has an opinion this unit, I'd love to hear it.

Besides all that I've never really paid much attention to proper seasoning time for different species of wood.
    But with the new insert that I'm trying to run 24/7 to heat my house, I want good wood that is seasoned properly.

I have a moisture meter and I believe the moisture content should be between 16 - 20%

I just had a tree company give me about 3 cords of white oak un-split for free. I have a new Stihl 591 - 20 in chain saw and after 34 years of using the same ol' splitter from Northern "Hydraulics" I decided to give her a rest and purchased a Dirty Hand Tool 34 Ton horizontal & vertical splitter.

Ok so with all that said and done, can you all start to fill me in on proper seasoning time for Red Oak - White Oak - Hickory - Ash and Maple.

After I split the wood, I'll be storing it over pallets, with a very large hoop house that will hold 6 cords and cover mostly the top but leave about 4 ft open on the sides.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I'd appreciate any help getting set on the right path.

2. WaddleRemodel

WaddleRemodel

Welcome to the madness it is addicting. :) Lots of info here. Go to resources read everything. It is life changing.:bug:Mostly sit back and enjoy the ride.

3. bbqhunter

bbqhunter

I will start reading thanks, and my wife things I crazy, but I sure you can relate to what I'm about to say,( cutting splitting and stacking wood is relaxing) at least for me it is and Im 54 YO

thistle, Gark, Chopy and 4 others like this.
  4. WaddleRemodel

WaddleRemodel

also remember lots of picture or as papadave says it didn't happen. My wife thinks the same about me.(crazy that is):D

5. bbqhunter

bbqhunter

Not a problem wit the pics and thanks again about the resource tip, great spot for info.

Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  6. NYCountry

NYCountry

Welcome to the FHC . You will learn new things everyday. The oak usually takes 2 years plus to dry out and all the others usually a year or less depending on the sunlight and the wind where you have yoy r wood stored..

thistle, firecracker_77, Gark and 2 others like this.
  7. Upstatewoodcutter

Upstatewoodcutter

For oak to season it has to be cut split and stacked off the ground and top covered for 2.5-3 years. Maple, depends on the breed, silver, red, and stripe maple can be as little as 8 months, while sugar maple I hear is a year and a half under the same conditions as oak. Ash is a different story, it starts off low in MC and dries quickly top covered, save it for the years where you're hurting for wood if you can get it. Hickory I imagine is just like oak, not 100% on that though.

8. papadave

papadave

Welcome aboard bbqhunter.
    Good on ya' for trying to get your firewood dry.
    If you can get the Oaks split and stacked in a sunny and windy location, 2 years will get it in decent shape, but 2.5 to 3 would be gooder.
    Top covering is a gooder thing.
    How big is the house?
    Since the Oak isn't split yet, be prepared for problems trying to burn it this year. Wood doesn't really start drying well until it's split.
    No experience with the other woods except Maple. I burn quite a bit of Red Maple, and it'll get pretty dry in about a year.
    If you can swing it, get about triple what you already have and if possible, get your hands on some dry wood.
    Get it all split and stacked ASAP. Get another years worth next year, and keep doing that every year. You'll be in great shape in a couple years that way.
    Keep the questions coming.

Gark, milleo, NYCountry and 3 others like this.
  9. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Welcome bbqhunter. So you have a hoop house? You should read up on the various solar kiln drying theories as many have demonstrated rapidly accelerated drying with solar kilns and with a hoop house you are largely there. You might want to close it up entirely and let the sun go to work.

And you got to love those tree guys that deliver.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    CTYank, Gark, ailanthus and 2 others like this.
  10. Uncle Augie

Uncle Augie Banned

If you can seal up the hoop house totally it would be better, Temp is more important that the humidity in the air. The more heat you retain during the day by keeping the hoop house closed up the faster your wood will dry. Here is the Science behind why temp is much more important that air movement or relative humidity of the air. http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/threads/solar-kiln-firewood-drying.6041/page-2#post-145487

Correct if you plan on just air drying, but there are other options

You will be able to burn that Oak next year with a little preparation. If you let it sit in the air with no help it will take 2-4 years to reach equilibrium with your environment which depends on your location. Here is a chart that represents the moisture content wood will end up at given enough time depending on where you live in the US by month.
    [​IMG]

This:like:

Start here in your reading about Solar Kilns, ask questions is you are not clear about any step.

CTYank, basod, papadave and 2 others like this.
  11. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Welcome to the land of wooden heads, my brother. You sound a bit addicted already, you'll fit in nicely! A 34 ton splitter?!?:jaw: Man, you're taking no prisoners! Remember da mainest ting :ithappened:or it's just another fairy tail!:cheers:

12. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Welcome
    You'll get lots of different times & methods here.
    One reason this is a good site is there's lots of ways & ideas
    here, so you can pick the ones that fit your situation.

I based mine from how the wood burns in my stove. Found 3 years for birch here, & I get my best results.
    1 year outside in a double row, with space between the rows, then 2 yrs in an open sided shed.
    I have the space to do a big shed & a long stack.
    DSCF4003.JPG DSCF3051.JPG

Here's a link to a wood study done in Fairbanks with several different methods. ( from , uncovered - tarp covered to solar kilns )
    A good read for anyone burning wood.
    http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/for...all-cutting-moisture-study-fairbanks-ak.8745/

Red oak seems to have the longest drying times, but no experience with it here.

Welcome again.

Drvn4wood, CTYank, thistle and 2 others like this.
  13. Uncle Augie

Uncle Augie Banned

Real issues with this study and its conclusion on Solar kilns. The design of the kiln they used/ location and time of year are all suspect, and influenced the results negatively. That said, there are many different methods, and I am open to all of them, but for speed and keeping less wood on your property at any one time there is no substitute for a solar kiln IMHO.

firecracker_77 and swags like this.
  14. Machria

Machria

Only one thing to add to that, get out your checkbook!!! Your going to end up with an expensive splitter, a couple of expensive worked Stihl saws, and a bunch of logging tools. ;)

According to my wife, we are ALL crazy! :D And after this past weekend, I now have 10.6 cord in my yard which consists of 1/10th of an acre. Me startin to think she may be on to something!

Welcome to the site!

Gark, Deacon, milleo and 2 others like this.
  15. Uncle Augie

Uncle Augie Banned

Or Husqvarna :p

papadave likes this.
  16. bogydave

bogydave

I think the 34 ton splitter will do the job for many years :)

firecracker_77 likes this.
  17. Machria

Machria

ahhh... missed that! Ok, so you are almost there! Btu don't worry, they will find something for you to spend more cash on!! ;)

how about a new tractor?? :D

18. bogydave

bogydave

CAD will always linger in your mind, eventually it will win out .:saw:
    Trailer , ATV ........ >>>> :whistle:
    LOL :)

Fanatical1 likes this.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Welcome to the forum bbqhunter.

Here is a link to lots of wood information. Hope it helps. http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/resources/primer-on-woodburning-by-backwoods-savage.6/

Switching from a fireplace to an insert will be a big change but a short learning curve. The biggest thing is to have good dry wood. If you are checking with a moisture meter, then to get a somewhat accurate reading you must split the wood and check it right away and be sure you are in the same grain. Better yet, get yourself 3 years ahead on the wood and you'll be fine. Just remember, we do not count any drying time until the wood has been split and stacked. We also only top cover; never cover the sides. Good luck.

Well Seasoned, thistle, Gark and 2 others like this.
  20. bbqhunter

bbqhunter

Well I certainly have tons of information to get myself up and running. I don't consider myself a beginner, however, factor in all the science and different methods of doing things, I guess I am a beginner, and I always can learn something from someone else.
    I read that whole article about getting started with firewood cutting, splitting and storing wood by Denise, great article and I sure I will be doing a lot more reading.
    I do believe I'm well equipped, my 34 ton splitter should arrive soon, I have my 20inch Stihl saw, a cant and a timberjack and also a log skidding choker to drag or skid large logs.
    I know pics speak a thousand words and as soon as my splitter is up and running I'll post my arsenal.
    Thanks for a warm welcome.

Oh I call myself bbqhunter becuz I do professional BBQ contest and I love to bowhunt, firewood is just another hobby.

basod, thistle, swags and 7 others like this.