In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Scored a nice used Lopi Liberty

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Hoytman, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

Was looking at owners manuals from 96-2004 versus new 2020 models and there are some differences. I'm not sure yet when my stove was built. I'm thinking it's not that old, but I forget. Have to take a closer look at it.

-The first difference is 3 secondary air tubes versus the new 2020 models having 5 secondary air tubes.

-The older stoves have thick bricks in the top above the tubes (made very well), and the new ones have a baffle board (likey of vermiculite I guess) and an insulating blanket (made a little cheaper but likely function as well or better not considering the two extra tubes).

-The newer stove has a 3.6 cu. ft. fire box and the older ones have a 3.1 cu. ft. fire box.

-The old stove is listed as 480 lbs...and I can tell you that is not correct. My Hitzer 354 is a beast at 500 pounds and this older Liberty is even heavier, at least it seemed a lot heavier. The new model Liberty is listed at 580 lbs., but with nearly identical dimensions (unless I've already forgotten them) and no bricks in the top, I can't see how it's nearly 100 lbs. heavier than an older model.

-Older models are rated about 5,000 btu's hr more than new models, both listed as 12 hours burns (certainly not in the ball park of a BK), but better than my old stove for sure.

-Strangely enough the new stove manual for a new model lists the stove at 2.5 grams per hr. I thought it would be lower than that. The stove I bought, an older model, listed in the manual as 2.6 with two fewer secondary tubes. I'm not sure all that is right, but that's what I read in the manual. Seems I read somewhere else the new models burn much cleaner than the 2.5 listed in the manual that I read online.

When I was thinking about buying a new stove I had a few in mind I was considering. Lopi Liberty/Endeavor, Blaze King King/Princess, WS Progress/Fireview/AS/IS, Englander NC-30, and Drolet Myriad II/III (which is a nice stove)...Oh...and Kuma stoves.

This Lopi is in great shape. I'm going to disassemble it, clean it real good, examine the bricks and tubes a little better. I'm going to go ahead and order new tubes, and bricks, and an extra glass (anyone here sell this stuff?). Some surface rust on internal parts where it's been sitting unused for a few years. Going to clean all that up. (Any suggestions...wire wheel, light sand blast, etc.) Going to put new gaskets in, anti-seize on the door hinge pins and anything else that needs it. This stove is in great shape already and could be used as is. However, it won't take much to make it like brand new and that is what I was looking for.

2. Hoytman

Hoytman

Looks like the new 2020 Liberty has a deeper fire box as well and can now accommodate 20” wood n/s also, which is very nice, as well as 24” e/w (might be 22” e/w...I forget).

Correction from the above post:
    The dimension are slightly larger for the new stove. Apparently that is where the additional weight is coming from.

Also, the new 2020 air wash has been moved higher above the door where it is now hidden. Also the door is taller, and now black only. I’m surprised they’ve seemed to drop the brass doors and legs, though I am not certain about that.

One thing I find interesting is the firebox over the years hasn’t changed much really. One tube, then two tubes, three tubes, now five tubes to comply with 2020 regulations. Looking at the manuals for the older stoves through to the new ones, the addition of more tubes is the biggest difference with exception of the new 2020 stove where they went from a brick baffle to baffle board and insulating blanket which is how they gained the extra height inside the fire box.

The new stove also has an ash pan. Not sure if I mentioned that earlier. Apparently Joe Q. Public was requesting the ash pan. I’m not convinced those small ash pans are worth it though. If an ash pan is going to be added I like those on Harmons and Drolet’s...nice and big.

I’m thinking about converting this used Liberty I got to a 5 tube stove. Would be easy enough.

I hope these posts can be helpful to someone seeking to learn about and buy a new or used Lopi Liberty.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  3. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Great stove from a great company... congrats!

Chaz and Hoytman like this.
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I wouldn't...the more secondary air you add, the quicker your firebox temp drops after the fire burns down...and the difference in how clean it burns will only be noticed by high dollar instruments...stoves made in recent years burn plenty clean, especially with dry wood. The difference between a stove made in the last 5-10 years and a 2020 certified stove is minimal in the real world...the EPA is just splitting hairs with the new standards.

5. Hoytman

Hoytman

Good points. According to the manuals for the Liberty I have and a new 2020 Liberty is the difference of 2.5 g/hr and 2.6g/hr ... a tenth ... which as you said, isn’t worth it.

RGrant, BuckthornBonnie and Chaz like this.
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam

A tenth of a gram. A gram is the weight of a paperclip. I question if this is way beyond a reasonable level of precision for the test since so many factors effect the results.

It would be plenty valid to just use round numbers of gph.

Hoytman likes this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

What size...plastic, or metal? :whistle: :p :D

8. Highbeam

Highbeam

The picture was a metal one. Other things that weigh a gram are a pinch of salt or 1/5 of a piece of paper.

Do people still use plastic paper clips?

brenndatomu likes this.