In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Scope, mounts and...what else?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by FatBoy85, May 1, 2020.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Feels interesting posting in a new spot. I hardly come here but I was just reading one of the comments saying “you’ll enjoy your .22 more when you have a scope on it rather than your regular sights”. Go easy on me. I’ve had some guns before but they didn’t last so much. Fishing became the priority, so I sold guns for supplies and now that I’ve sold my boat about 2 years ago, I’m looking to get some things set up for this.

Ok down to business. As of right now I own 4, a 12 gauge, a .22 plinker rifle, and 9mm and a 45 ACP handgun. Not looking to trick these out to the max but let’s start with the rifle. It is a Savage 64F.

I’m asking for help because the last time I had a rifle, I bought the mounts and scope, put it on. I will admit I guess didn’t do it right and when trying to sight it in, bullet went really low according to a guy who was offering his expertise at the range. He genuinely wanted to help me but the actual range bosses were too anal to let him do any of that. Go figure. 87A47586-6A6C-4BF1-801A-7A44B68DEDE4.png

So I really never got the thing fixed and it kinda soured me as someone wasn’t willing to help me work out an issue that could have just been an education rather than a conniption-chit. Thank you I needed to get that out of my system.

Now I’m not sure where to begin because I’m more of a visual person so I’d like to reverse and unlearn my error, find the right parts for mounts, scope and anything else I need for this rifle. Something that helps getting a deer rifle sighted easier to do after this. I’m not mechanically inept but I’m really green in the gun dept so all these parts in ways of another make it look like I’m at the plumbing and screws section at the hardware store. Whatever your recommendations, let me know and thank you!

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Your Savage probably has a grooved receiver for ".22 caliber tip off rings". The rings that mount the scope have a bottom end that dovetails into those grooves on the gun. They are also called dovetail rings. The grooved receivers are also called a 3/8 dovetail receiver. Look up any or all of these terms and you'll find what you need to mount that scope. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

3. In the Pines

In the Pines

have you ever zero'd a scope in before?

4. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

If you have access, go to YouTube and search "one shot sight in". It will take more than one shot but it's a good tutorial and I prefer that system.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

No I was expecting to do this with my previous rifle but like I said it died from there because I never set up the scope right. This is why I’m starting small here because I’d rather make a fixable error on a budget gun and educate myself with you guys.
    I had read originally Ronaldo about dovetail mounts but needed more clarification if it was mostly universal and not a specific mount. I will come back to this the next time I get my parts all bought up and set.

6. In the Pines

In the Pines

worst case scenario, you might adjust the scope out too far and it will break.. So don't spend too big on one right away. Don't need a super expensive scope for plinking up close anyway.
    I'm no expert myself, I broke (or it broke on it's own, but I'll blame me) a super cheap scope trying to get it to zero (it came with the gun that's how cheap it was)
    took the scope off my other gun and trying again

7. chris

chris

Scope rings come in 3 heights low, medium , high. Not counting those see though god awful things. Depending on the dia. of the front end of the scope and if you need to clear any open sights mounted, will dictate which set you need. if you have a high comb on the butt stock or are long necked to start with you might need the high ones. In general you want to mount a scope as close to the barrel as possible. A dedicated rim fire scope will have parallax set at 50 yards, a standard rifle scope will be set at 100 yards- some of the higher priced units are adjustable. You can look parallax up easier than I can type it all out. There is more so when you get parts come on back and I can go through the rest of it. Once in a while a shim is needed inside a ring 1/2 to get things in better alignment for ranges intended.

8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

So let me get this straight, it can break if you give it clicks in the scope itself?

9. In the Pines

In the Pines

yes in a nutshell.

10. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Stop using that impact driver for elevation adjustments. ;):rofl: :lol:
    Windage and elevation adjustments are finite in scopes, and trying to exceed those limits could result in internal breakage. It is not a normal occurrence.
    If you end up shooting sooo far off, L/R, up/down, something else should be addressed first. I myself do not like dove-tail rings. Without a "truing bar", you can't be sure the rings are aligned like they should be.
    Weaver base adapters are available for those 3/8" dovetail cuts on that receiver. Then, the correct set of rings for the scope you intend on using. If things get funky, you can shim the rings. It's a .22, you have some lee-way when mounting a scope. Cranking the crap out of the scope adjustments until it breaks should not be an option.

11. In the Pines

In the Pines

agree not normal but it does happen, I don't really think that is what happened with mine, new (pellet) rifle, 30 shots in or less and the cheap scope crosshairs went off kilter.
    agree dove tails do take way more effort to get right.

12. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Pellet rifles, especially a "springer" will wreck a scope in no time. They have an opposite recoil impulse that jacks up a normal scope. It's weird but true.

13. In the Pines

In the Pines

very true, they are harder on scopes than firearms. You have to get a air rifle rated scope or risk it being destroyed in no time.
    I assume the scope that came on it was rated for air rifles but I didn't expect much out of it anyway.
    anyway not to get too off subject, I just wanted to put out there to not jack the windage/elevation turrets too much or risk breaking the scope.

14. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Am I to understand that the point of impact is beyond the adjustment of your scope? If so, you may need to shim under the forward ring or purchase a better scope that has more adjustment. If you have a troublesome weapon then I suggest you go to a good gun shop (Welcher's in Tacoma is one of many ) and purchase your scope there. You will pay a bit more, but they will mount your scope, square your cross hairs and bore sight the weapon to make sure the point of impact is within adjustment and get you in the ballpark. They will also do that work for a small fee if you purchase your parts elsewhere. Bore sighting is a good policy even if you do the work yourself.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    amateur cutter, wildwest and FatBoy85 like this.
  15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

No I haven’t bought any scopes yet. I had bought a scope for a rifle, mounted it and them whatever happened in the interval something didn’t go right with either scope to barrel alignment? Where the crosshairs lined up, the bullet was way off. This was nearly 8 years ago so I’m forgetting what the fella at the range told me specifically so I couldn’t reverse on that as the rifle (a Savage.270)has been long gone traded.

I’m looking to get a different deer rifle later but want to get this .22 set up the right way so I don’t make the same damm errors I did the very first time. looking at videos today I’m like “how did I manage to foul this up?”. It’s a .22 but I’d like to just get it done the right way this time, right parts I believe were bought the last time...so I’m hard pressed to make sure that I’m doing the work so I learn about it. It’s nice to let a gun shop do it if it’s an absolute mess though.

16. In the Pines

In the Pines

1 thing that I don't think was mentioned, is if you don't wish to switch from dovetail to weaver/picatinny.
    You can buy a 1 piece dovetail mount, that will help eliminate some issues as well.
    Honestly I don't know why anyone manufacturers weapons with dovetails anymore, cheaper to machine I guess?

17. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I would love to be able to set it up like if it were a rail system. Just put the mounts on, scope and I can move the whole set up if needed in one move adjustments, back or forward. Makes you wonder what is universal in manufacture eyes as to machining it along with making sure the scope stays steady.

18. DNH

DNH

A little off topic but two clubs/associations I would highly recommend for becoming a better marksman.

Appleseed is primarily dedicated to great marksmanship training and firearm safety. And early American history.
    schedule | Project Appleseed

CMP was traditionally high power rifle long range 300-600 meter training. But has branched out to a lot more!
    CMP Club & Competition Tracker | Dashboard

Lots of other options just these are generally good with less political association than some of the other organizations like the NRA.

19. chris

chris

on occasion and rarely on rimfires but there are specific mounts for front and rear ( front receiver area larger dia. than rear) getting those mounts reversed will give you fits of course elevation wise. Then there are the times that the mounting holes are not drilled and tapped in line with the bore - might only be one but that's all it takes. There are other anomalies as well , these are the most common. Air rifles- spring powered- yep the reverse impulse from the spring and piston destroys scopes even the good ones if not rated for air gun use ( even then some of the inexpensive one do not last long. ) Not an issue with the three other types of power plants on those.

20. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Alright. And I suppose this is usual but no directions come with these mounts. Question is, did I buy the right ones?
    29C12B4C-6077-40A0-AB42-F05881A207E2.jpeg FD69BB91-0908-42E0-9778-7484341CA7F5.jpeg EDFFDED0-5B0C-442C-9FD0-9DE9C907B4DE.jpeg