In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Saving Wood For Another Day!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Ralphie Boy, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

24 hours without a fire and it looks like at least another 48 hours without a fire. 8:25 am and its 65 degrees on December 12th here in northern Kentucky! Who'd a thunk it?!? I think I'll jump in my kayak and head out to the Ohio River for a while since I don't need to do wood!

2. Huntindog1

Huntindog1

Same Boat here in South Central Indiana

3. Flatlander Pete

Flatlander Pete

55 here and heading to 63! I'm not complaining one bit. We had a small fire last night to take the chill off. Probably won't have to do that tonight. There's more typical December weather right around the corner. We will be firein' up the stoves shortly, Ralphie Boy!

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

8:45am and 58 degrees...supposed to be near 70 here today? :D Good day for some chimney maintenance, washing the tractor, doing some grilling ect...

5. Stinny

Stinny

My honey and I have been saying for weeks now that when winter hits, an awful lot of folks are gonna be in total shock. Summer weather straight to winter howling snow storms... ;) I'm very happy saving our wood and using even less heating oil here, even at super low oil prices. It's all good... :dex:........:yes:

6. savemoney

savemoney

Paid for another small delivery of propane yesterday. The heat for upstairs, hot water for both families, and our cook stove use it. Cost is way down. Burning pellets but the stove is on the stat setting. 40F outside now. Still wet from the rain two days ago. Winter will hit and when it does, watch out! No easing into winter so the driving habits will need to be adjusted. So many driving way too fast. The road my access road connects to is hilly and has a lot of curves. Mush of it has double lines, which here is "no passing" but it doesn't mean much to a lot of them. It is posted for 45 MPH but they drive 5 to 10 miles over that. When I signal and slow down to turn onto my access road, I often get beeped at. When I come from the other way, they pass me on the right in the breakdown path. I would love to have a cop car sitting down there just to slow things down a bit.

7. dave70

dave70

67 here in N Texas this morning, headed to 72 and rain.

8. Horkn

Horkn

That's el nino for you. Mega weather swings, from one extreme to the other. I can't wait to really get my quadrafire rolling when it's really cold out.

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

I save the largest ugliest rounds to feed the OWB once the temps hit the -25 to -40's range. I'm hoping that I won't have to lift them this season!
    Still in the shoulder season here.

10. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Real warm here, close till 50, still morning. Haven't burned for two days, the house was cool last night in the low 50's as we were out shopping. Came home late and didn't feel like making a fire. Saving wood indeed!:)

11. Todd 2

Todd 2

I winterized me boat to soon cap-e-ton :confused:

12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We've been having one fire per day most days. Forcast in the 60s tomorrow! Maybe we should head to the beach?

13. tree killer

tree killer

Just remember 1998. Lots of similarities already.

14. fuelrod

fuelrod

I gotta get a small wood stove, I miss burning and it's just to warm for the wood boiler yet

15. Erik B

Erik B

Tomorrow we are supposed to be breaking at least 3 weather records. Forecast is for a new high temp, new high low temp, and most rain for the date. Good news, bad news kind of day. Not burning much wood.

16. fuelrod

fuelrod

Sound's like deciding how to dress tomorrow morning will be a real head scratcher!:eek:

17. weatherguy

weatherguy

You will, the nino will weaken and winter will slap us in the face, wouldn't be surprised if we have a cold March too so save your wood.

18. Sconnie Burner

Sconnie Burner

Saving here too. Temps hanging around 40 for highs and lows the next couple days. Down to one warm up fire in the mornings 6 splits of wood per day instead of 15-18. I can handle that!

19. Oldman47

Oldman47

I'm not sure today's high was a record but when I was out riding my motorcycle I saw 67ºF on my dashboard. This time of year it is typically playing down around the freezing point

20. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    :p:p
    cheeky4.gif cheeky4.gif
    Here: 21° right now:p
    DSCF6180.JPG