In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Salvaged some Cherry but the Mulberry is lost

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by JimBear, Sep 23, 2020.

1. JimBear

JimBear

My Dad & brother had about 1/4mile of fence I was supposed to clean out this winter, cut out the Mulberry,Cherry & Osage. Then in the spring the dozer comes in , takes out the stumps & the new fence gets built. Well they got rammy, bored or something & the dozer showed up Monday & started pushing. Apparently they failed to tell him I was wanting everything for firewood. I salvaged about 1/2 of the Cherry, the Mulberry is buried, probably 5-6 cord worth. He did lay over the Osage so I can cut posts from it & whatever doesn’t make posts will be firewood. Here’s what I salvaged of the Cherry, it would of been a total loss without the skid loader & grapple to dig/drag it out. It was a little hard on my chain cutting the root balls off but that’s why I bought a chain grinder. The last pic is a little blurry but it’s a 24” Osage sticking out, no idea why he shoved it in the brush pile. The Mulberry is under all that dirt & other crap it was a ditch about 10’ deep.

06D6880A-6B26-470D-BB10-E98BEE2459B5.jpeg CA2449ED-C9A0-49D5-A3EA-D1EC96C32C1E.jpeg 384BB693-DD68-4BFF-A74F-EC499CD7B17A.jpeg F66E2520-88B1-47E0-A7FF-0DD40C9EE738.jpeg 095B612D-3186-45A2-BFC9-DB9B6171E21F.jpeg 1A68133E-79FA-4DDC-9C6B-ECFFBF4287BE.jpeg

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

too bad about getting buried. Some is better than none. Gonna do a number on the chains with the dirt on it. Will you run semi chisel chain to buck it?

3. JimBear

JimBear

I most likely will use semi-chisel, it may be a good job for the Oregon Dura-Cut I have. Slow as molasses in January that stuff is. It’s the only semi-chisel I have.
    About 1/2 of it isn’t too bad but the other 1/2 is pretty well coated. I am hoping for some rain to help out with the cleaning process. They can lay there till harvest is done & I start on the Osage. I am considering cutting the long ones to 25’, loading everything on a trailer & hauling them up to my folks house & getting the Hotsy out & giving them a bath. Once the corn is out its just a 1/4 mile over the hill.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think these hoe operators do that crap for fun...my neighbor sold some land to another neighbor a few years back...it was heavily wooded so they had it logged...what wasn't taken for logs was cut down and pushed into a pile...I was supposed to cut out all the fence rows trees that divided the two property's...and the line was clearly marked! I went on vacation for a week and came back to find the fence row trees shoved into the big pile...I raised cain with the new land owner about it and he says the hoe operator got confused...yeah right...more like you told him to reach over the line and tear those suckers out because you just wanted it to be over and done with.
    The pile of trees was huge, HUGE! Probably 3 times what I see in your pics there...the only saving grace was he said I could cut off the pile until they burnt it...I did get a few cords, but it was hard won because once those trees are dozed into that pile they are tough to cut on, dangerous too...some of the stuff I got by pulling the tree out with my truck.
    He did finally drop a match on it...made me almost sick to my stomach to see...it was burning for weeks! :hair::hair::hair:

5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

At least you salvaged some of it

Midwinter and Backwoods Savage like this.
  6. jrider

jrider

That’s a major bummer

Midwinter and Backwoods Savage like this.