In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Salt cod fritters

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by grandgourmand, Jan 2, 2017.

1. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

image.jpeg These things are great with hot sauce.

2. XXL

XXL

Looks good! I have seen salt cod in the store but never knew what to do with it. Tell me more, do you soak it to remove some of the salt? Did you bread or batter it?

grandgourmand and Well Seasoned like this.
  3. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Yeah, the gist of it is you soak the cod for a day or so, changing the water 5-6 times. Then you chop it up in a food processor, or a blender, or by knife, whatever you have. I then add it to a mixing bowl, with some chopped scallions, cilantro, flour, baking soda and curry powder. Mix it up, then pour in some beer...usually most of a bottle, and mix it until it's like thick pancake batter.

I don't measure much, but I aim for 50/50 cod to flour. If you google "jamaican salt cod fritters" you can get some better measurements.

You can vary it quite a bit too...but you MUST have hot sauce or a squeeze of lemon juice on them.

XXL and Well Seasoned like this.
  4. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Looks and sounds great! :drool:

grandgourmand and raybonz like this.
  5. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Looks delicious! Salt cod was once one of the I very most important commodities on both sides of the Atlantic, particularly before commercial frozen storage of fish. It's still very important in Portuguese and Basque cuisine. I had the pleasure of trying bachalau in Lisbon a few years ago. Also, Mark Kurlansky has written several books on the history of salt cod and related topics including: "Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World," "Salt: A World History," "The Basque History of the World: The Story of a Nation," and "The Last Fish Tale: The Fate of the Atlantic and Survival in Gloucester, America's Oldest Fishing Port and Most Original Town."

grandgourmand likes this.
  6. XXL

XXL

Would go good with a good bajan scotch bonnet pepper sauce, one of my favorite with fish.

7. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

It would be perfect. I had mine with a hot sauce my friend gets in Belize called Marie Sharp's. Soooo good.

8. Certified106

Certified106

Looks great to me!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

9. Farmboy707

Farmboy707

My wife and I went last summer to visit family out in Newfoundland and we went cod jigging ended up with 95 cod in a few hours, we Fryed it up was amazing even the traditional Fryed cod tongue was good only thing I wasn't a fan of was the cod briches ( egg sack with the eggs Fryed )

mike bayerl likes this.
  10. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Sounds awesome. Would love to go there.