In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

SAE 30 oil gone?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Yawner, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Yawner

Yawner

I could not find sae30 oil for small engines. At Walmart, TS or Dollar Store! They quit making it? What is good alternative? Splitter, lawnmower, generator, etc.

metalcuttr and Screwloose like this.
  2. chrometip78

chrometip78

I like 15w-40, generally a heavy duty oil compared to modern passenger car oil.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

3. In the Pines

In the Pines

you can get kohler 30w at a lawn dealer, at least mine carries it, or buy it on fleabay as well.
    Oreilly carries 30w too but their brand, nothing else. I couldn't find any name brands myself last summer when I went looking for my lawn mower.
    Ended up buying it on fleabay and oreilly's

metalcuttr and farmer steve like this.
  4. Screwloose

Screwloose

I use valvoline vr1 30wt. It has extra zinc and phosphorus. I get it a Napa. Quaker state also sells a straight 30 at menards also with the zinc and phosphorus.

metalcuttr and In the Pines like this.
  5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

6. Yawner

Yawner

I admit, it was the day before tornadoes hit but I wonder how many people would do what I did... think of the generators! I found that TS oil online when we went shopping but TS did not have it in store. Also found it super odd Walmart had none and Dollar Store had none. Had a shipload of automotive oil but no sae30. I have never seen Dollar Store without sae30. But it's possible.

I just bought 48 oz jug of it on fleabay... Briggs & Stratton brand. Cheap. Probably not 'high grade' oil but I guess it'll work and I have never bought 'high grade' oil for small engines.

7. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

any good auto parts should have i usually get wolfs head heavy duty 30 good for gas or diesel most tractor dealers also sell it

8. unclefess

unclefess Guest

9. Andimus Prime

Andimus Prime

What’s wrong with a 5 or 10w30? I use those (respectively I think) in my county line splitter and mtd mower. Both have Kohler motors.

10. Chris F

Chris F

I had trouble finding it this summer but finally found Castrol 30W at my local TSC. They had six litres left on the shelf so I grabbed them all.

11. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Nothing wrong with them, they are just a different viscosity and would be better for this time of year if in a cold area. Seeing he is in a far southern state, he’d be better off running the thicker SAE 30 year round. The thinner oil wouldn’t lubricate as well.

12. In the Pines

In the Pines

older motors, I'm assuming he has an older mower, my 1973 cub cadet 129 requires 30w. my splitter on the other hand is using synthetic 5w-30

metalcuttr, Chris F and Screwloose like this.
  13. Chris F

Chris F

Yeah my older Craftsman mower and Troy Bilt tiller take 30W. I think my 4 stroke weed eater takes it too.

metalcuttr and In the Pines like this.
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

If so, I would not worry?? Why use it when there is a better option? Use 10w30 or 15w40 or if your a synthetic fan use 5w40 , they will perform better.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

5w30 is a 30 weight oil and performs better than 30w. It flows cold and flows like 30w when warm???

16. Andimus Prime

Andimus Prime

This is what I thought as well, but I’m no expert.

Screwloose likes this.
  17. iowahiker

iowahiker

Straight 30 motor oil can be ordered online for walmart and delivered to your store for "in store" pickup. We have farm supply stores, various chains, which also stock straight 30 motor oil.

Screwloose likes this.
  18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

The only reason I would see for straight 30 is if you wanted non detergent oil. For an old piece of equipment or something that you neglect if you start running detergent oil your going to break sludge free Fromm all in the engine.

I don't recall seeing multi weight oil in non detergent. But I don't study on single weight oils esp non detergent. I run regular multi weight oil in everything. 15w40 in pretty much all my small engines except my newest ZT and it gets 10w40 per manual. I am babying that thing I guess cause it's new to me. Otherwise it would get 15w40. Which won't hurt it anyway

Screwloose likes this.
  19. chris

chris

The old standard 10w 30 will work just fine down south or here in the chilling temps on small eng. Only reason the carzy numbers on oil now is to support the hydraulic advancement systems on the cams of cars and trucks. in cold temps you need that 0w or 5w so the oil pressure builds quickly in these modern engines even the newer diesels need a bit different than days of old if you look at your manuals.

Screwloose likes this.
  20. chris

chris

30w non-detergent is basically what you use in compressors- 30w Mineral oil if you want a different name for it.

Screwloose likes this.