In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sachs Dolmar 116 barn find

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Kevin Smith, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith

We we're cleaning out an old shed on the farm full of 40 year old junk. My father in law opens an old drawer and finds a Dolmar 116. I put a little gas in, started 4th pull. Needs bar and clutch cover, filter, plug and tlc. But it appears to be in good condition with good compression. Anyone know much about them?

Finding another good saw is like striking gold. He's owned the farm for 17-18 years, old owner left it behind.

Attached Files:

2. KilliansRedLeo

KilliansRedLeo

Those are VERY nice saws, put the time, TLC and $ into it. You will not be sorry! You will get a taste of what the older designs are about compared to todays' iron.

Kevin Smith and HoneyFuzz like this.
  3. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

Very nice saw. And it stated !! A little simple green and elbow grease and that saw will shine. Congrats and good luck :)

Kevin Smith likes this.
  4. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith

Thanks guys, it seems like a very well built saw. I have 50 & 70cc saws so this will be nice addition. Have to find handguard/ brake clutch cover though.

5. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith

Chainsawr has a clutch cover and hand guard for a 120. Probably need brake band and guts for it. Anyone know where to find air filters for order saws?

6. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

That is a great find and a great saw!!

Kevin Smith likes this.
  7. rottiman

rottiman

WOW...sweet find for sure.

Kevin Smith likes this.
  8. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith

I'm pretty pumped to get this thing cleaned and running in some wood. Found clutch cover and hand guard on a few sites so far. Not luck on air filter yet.

It fires right up but has lots of carbon gunk on the piston. If I was older and wiser, I would have checked that first and maybe soaked it before trying. This thing is in really nice condition as far as no cracks or fading.
    I'll post a pic of it cleaned up and complete.

MasterMech likes this.
  9. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith

Cleaned it up a bit today. I just ordered a hand guard clutch cover for a 120, new piston, and bar for it from chainsawr.com.
    Still looking for air filter, any ideas? Would like to adapt it to some newer style. Doesn't look to easy on this saw though.
    My 8yr old son came out to look at it and it started with one pull, after not touching it since the other day when we found it. Sorry I got carried away with pics, just cant believe we found this in shop full of old farm junk. The tag says 1987.

Attached Files:

cnice_37, HDRock, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  10. KilliansRedLeo

KilliansRedLeo

OH, Chit Kevin! What a beautiful barn find. My hat is off to you!!! You will just crap when you put the old lady in wood!

Kevin Smith likes this.
  11. gmule

gmule

Don't waste your time with that saw. Promptly ship it me for proper disposal.

12. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith

I'm dying to run it myself. It seems like such a well made saw. Sounds good too, kind of deep. No piston needed either, ran it for a bit and it cleaned right up. Starts first pull, first pull! I don't own anything that starts like that. Parts can't get here fast enough.

HDRock, Chvymn99 and concretegrazer like this.
  13. HDRock

HDRock

Great find man, that puppy cleaned up real nice

Chvymn99 and Kevin Smith like this.
  14. cnice_37

cnice_37

Is there no air filter at all? You can always use the filter material used in the typical forced air heat setups if you have something to mount it on, in a pinch until you find a better solution.

Nice saw.... But I'd like to see more of the old Fords!

Kevin Smith likes this.
  15. gmule

gmule

I have new 5105 and I absolutely love it. Well balanced and lots of power. It brings a smile to my face every time I fire it up.

Kevin Smith likes this.
  16. KilliansRedLeo

KilliansRedLeo

Saw looks great, I too want to see more Fords! And the barn looks great! There is a guy out there who makes custom filters for saws that are NLA, he made me one for a Pioneer P-40 I restored for a friend, I'll try to find him for you.

Kevin Smith likes this.
  17. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith

It has an air filter, just real dirty. I took dish soap , warm water, and tooth brush to it. It cleaned up nice. Might be able to take a razor blade and remove old nylon material. Then epoxy or superglue new filter material into frame of filter. The hole in the cover that feeds carb is round. If it wasn't so nice I'd cut it and do a velocity stack out of the top. Just can't bring myself to do it. It's good for now. I'm just lucky they ran it out of fuel all those years ago.

18. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith

Thanks, I'd definitely pick up a couple from him. Is there a show your truck thread on here somewhere? I have to say I love this site. Where else can you find guys as excited as you about something like finding an old chainsaw?! Great crew here! Thanks everyone for the replies and input.

MasterMech likes this.
  19. cnice_37

cnice_37

20. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith

Parts came in from chainsawr.com. Is he a member on here? Anyway, the clutch cover hand guard assembly said it was for a 120. Just opened it and it still has a worn decal for 116. The 20" bar is a .325 x .050 78 links. So now I need to find a sprocket and chain. Sprockets What I'm not sure about. Anyone know if Husq or Jonsered would fit or are around?
    Thanks