In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ryobi charger/battery fire

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Wishlist, May 16, 2022.

1. Wishlist

Wishlist

I have a place at a local resort and was there yesterday. Around 4pm I hear my neighbor yelling there’s a fire across the street . I ran over there , owner wasn’t home , and his ryobi battery charger was in a full blaze nasty stinking fire . He had it sitting on a small refrigerator as you can see in the pics. Used a broom to knock the charger off the top of the refrigerator and then put the fire out . What a mess !
    Makes me think about leaving my chargers plugged in unattended!

Attached Files:

2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Hmmm...Mine are always plugged in, might rethink this!

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Lucky you guys were there.

Thanks for sharing. Good food for thought!

5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Nice save Wishlist . :yes:

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Good on you for putting that fire down! :thumbs: :handshake:
    While I'm sure its possible for the charger itself to have malfunctioned, from what I understand, the majority of these "electronics" fires are from the battery...specifically lithium ion batteries.
    Remember all the hoverboards that were spontaneously combusting a few years back? Yup, junk LI batteries.
    I've shared this here before, but I had a friend of mine (now deceased) that was given a promotional rechargeable flashlight (LI battery) and it was a good one, not one of these chinese junkers...he only had it a few months when he walks past his office and see's this thing on his desk on fire! He ran in and swatted it onto the floor, then kicked it out into the shop where there was a bare concrete floor and then eventually kicked it outside because the smoke was very thick and smelled toxic (I'm sure it is) When he first told me about this I also thought the charger malfunctioned...he said nope, it was fully charged and just sitting there by itself, not on a charger, not even "on"
    Makes me nervous when I think about all the LI battery devices we all have laying around the house!
    Battery Safety : Top 5 Reasons Why Lithium-Ion Batteries Catch Fire — ION Energy

LongShot, Screwloose, Camber and 2 others like this.
  7. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Scary chit!

8. Camber

Camber

Good Job! Those suckers are scary. I had two dewalt batteries with the chargers cook off on me. I've since said bye to Dewalt lithium Ion. I should have learned the first time not to leave them plugged in.

9. bogieb

bogieb

Nice save!

I never leave mine plugged in. When I charge, I do it on a non-flamable surface (looks like what they were doing with it on the fridge - I assume it is metal), and am home the entire time it's charging. I have a couple of chargers / batteries for Ryobi. A couple of years ago one of the chargers made the battery hot, and the charger started giving off an electrical smell (yes, it was the charger not the battery that stunk). Got rid of that charger and that battery is still fine using a different charger.

10. Screwloose

Screwloose

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Camber and brenndatomu like this.
  11. ammoaddict

ammoaddict

I used to leave mine plugged in all the time until I read a similar story a couple years ago. Now I don't.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Camber, bogieb and brenndatomu like this.