In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★☆☆☆ Rocky Mountain Pellets (Review)

Discussion in 'Pellet Fuels' started by funflyer, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funflyer

funflyer

Rocky Mountain Pine:

Temp Above Door (max) - 413

Convection Air Temp (avg) - 212

Ash Volume - 12 ounces (from 10 pounds of pellets)

Ash Weight - 3.8 ounces (from 10 pounds of pellets)

Ash Percentage - 2.37% :eek:

Fines In Bag - 1/3 cup

Pellet Length (avg) – 1/2" - 1-3/8"

Bag Weight – 40.2 lbs.

Burn time – 17+ hours

Notes:
    $279.00/Ton
    Temps are in Fahrenheit
    Stove set on heat level 4 of 9
    Convection fan on level 9 of 9
    Low Fuel Feed (LFF) - 4
    Low Burn Air (LBA) - 6
    Room Temp - 72
    Outside Air Temp - 20 to 32

Picked up two bags of these at Tractor Supply and was looking forward to testing them after reading the positive specs on the bag. The first bag I burned was mixed with another brand (1/2 bag) already in the hopper but, after burning that bag and cleaning the stove I decided to only burn 10 pounds for the test as a 40 pound bag left the stove full of ash and the glass almost opaque. These made good heat on level 4 but because of the high ash content the stove would need a thorough cleaning every day to maintain that heat output.

Not recommended at any price unless you enjoy cleaning your stove daily.

DSC00105.JPG

DSC00106.JPG DSC00107.JPG

DSC00112.JPG
    DSC00114.JPG
    DSC00115.JPG DSC00118.JPG

wildwest likes this.
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you for this review. I use a lot of pellets..... I am/was new to pellet burning and used 2 tons of these between replenishment on my other brand in my first winter, I encountered several problems with them. That said, I have not had the opportunity to use hardwood or hard/soft wood mix pellets to compare either...........

From what I hear, the original RMP was a small guy with superb pellets, he aged, retired, confluence bought the name brand. I can't help but wonder if the great reputation from years ago is carried on to unsuspecting buyers even thought the pellets are not the same now?

It is a very good idea to support a company that is clearing the beetle kill wildfire menace in the Rocky Mountains, but those pellets drive a high price and extra maintenance for me........

Sorry Moderators, I guess this should be in the RMP chatter thread, I dont see that thread?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  3. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

I haven't burned pellets for 7 years, but I'm familiar with this product. Confluence Energy is the new owner, they are based out of Kremmling, Co. The owners name is Mark and I've dealt with him on numerous occasions. We don't deal with him anymore, our choice. I could give you a pretty in-depth back story, but it's not necessary.
    I used to buy my pellets from Northwest Ranch Supply, about a mile from Confluence. But I didn't buy Confluence pellets, I bought hardwood pellets. I did try a ton once. Once.
    Currently, I'd avoid them. Some of the processors that supply them bring in green wood, not Beetle kill. There is a limited amount of drying time, so the wood is wet going into the plant.
    I would avoid it if possible. Hope this helps.
    Mods- If this post sounds inflammatory, don't post it. I know the current situation and would prefer people not purchase these pellets-at this time. They are a sub-par product.
    Please feel free to edit. this post as you will. JB.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    wildwest likes this.
  4. funflyer

funflyer

They did have a nice, but very strong pine smell so I wonder if this could be the problem.

wildwest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.