In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Rocket stove chili

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Lucy, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Lucy

Lucy

Couldn't wait for it to get cold so i could start cooking on the wood stove. So we mad a simple little rocket stove. Just finished another pot of chili. Kale and pears turned out really good too.

Attached Files:

J. Dirt, basod, brenndatomu and 8 others like this.
  2. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Looks YUMMY!

3. Horkn

Horkn

That's not the first rocket stove that you get from eating chili.

:fart::fart:
    :banana:

J. Dirt, brenndatomu, Skier76 and 3 others like this.
  4. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I have made a bunch of rocket stoves for fun but have never cooked a real meal on them. Your dinner certainly looked great! I love chili and kale but I'm intrigued about the pears. I gather that they are in the colorful dish with ,it looks like, onions, carrots and mushrooms. Is that right or am I all wrong. Could you please enlarge upon your recipe?

brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  5. Lucy

Lucy

The first one is the start of the chili. The green stuff is kale with polish sausage ( Kielbasa) or something similar and a couple of winter pears. I use a bit of butter cut up the sausage brown it slightly then brown the cut up pear pieces. Take the stems out of the kale cut up and add, leave lid open and stir a lot it needs to wilt and is good if slightly browned. You may need to add the kale in shifts it takes a lot to make a decent meal.
    The colorful dish was just some sauteed veggies as a side. Red and green peppers mushrooms and onions.
    It's kind of fun cooking on the little stove outside. Reminds of camping. Did a lot of that when i was young. Unfortunately that is good weather fun only.

metalcuttr, brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  6. Lucy

Lucy

By the way should anybody try this, don't use an enameled pot. I killed my enameled cast iron pot. The bottom inside is covered with hairline cracks in the enamel. Also used a big blue enameled pot on it and it popped the enamel off on the inside and outside in same spot. Don't know why , i guess it gets too hot? Never ruined a pot on a campfire and some of those were enamel. My coffee pot certainly was. I guess they just don't make things like they used to.

Horkn and mat60 like this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

Interesting. What brand of pot was it? I know some enameled cast iron like le creuset are mega expensive, then there's lesser cost ones out there.

Lucy likes this.
  8. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I was wrong then. I had thought the veggi dish was perhaps an India inspired dish that had the pears as a sweet accent. Kind like a sweet vegetable curry. Looks wonderful no matter what! Pears with kale and sausage is interesting also though not a combo that I would have intuitively come up with. I very much like savory and sweet pairings. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the ideas!

Horkn and Lucy like this.
  9. Lucy

Lucy

i got the cast iron red pot at Sams. Don't remember the brand but could probably look it up. Don't have the budget for the the really fancy toys.

metalcuttr and Horkn like this.
  10. Lucy

Lucy

Thanks you just gave me an idea for curry but i usually use spinach with that, never tried Kale. The veggie dish could have curry added to it, that would work fine. Depends on what you want o eat with it.

metalcuttr and Horkn like this.