In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Return line cools way down when furnace fan blows

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Sourwood, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

Okay. My neighbor is having some kind of problem with his new boiler. Same plumbing as before- just attached at the boiler.

At the furnace plenum, intake and outgo pipes are good and hot, but when the furnace fan is on, there is a significant temperature drop on the return line. Of course it doesn’t warm the house either.

thoughts? He is pretty handy, and installed his complete boiler before. Frustrated with it

2. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Random guess; circulation pump for the water is too slow. Not moving enough water before the furnace fan strips the heat in the heat exchanger?

I would think the furnace fan and heat exchanger should already be match together.

3. Sourwood

Sourwood

Jeffrey Svoboda yes the fan exchange been matched for ten years. I think he is using the same Taco pump from the previous boiler.

4. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Possibly a partially plugged heat exchanger in the furnace?

5. lukem

lukem

Sounds like low flow on the line set from the boiler to the water to air heat exchanger. Could be the pump or the heat exchanger.

morningwood and stuckinthemuck like this.
  6. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Confused here.

My understanding is a furnace is used for forced hot air, which we have. A boiler is for baseboard heating.

I've not heard of a boiler with a fan. I'm probably displaying my ignorance in such matters.

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  7. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Seems like primary heat source is forced hot air. Boiler is rigged up to provide hot water to heat exchanger at furnace plenum so HVAC can distribute hot air. I would also think low flow to heat exchanger. What kind of boiler is the new boiler? What was in there before? What is the temp as the water enters and exits the heat exchanger?

MikeInMa likes this.
  8. plcnut

plcnut

The issue sounds like low flow to me. The return water is so cool because there is too little water flowing through the exchanger, therefore the temperature delta of the exchanger is very high.
    A plugged exchanger is possible, but does not make sense if his old boiler did not have the same problem.
    Air lock sounds like a likely problem.
    Is it plumbed in a way that he can do a power flush?

Jeffrey Svoboda and morningwood like this.
  9. Sourwood

Sourwood

MikeInMa No, outdoor boilers operate on forced air heaters. No need to go into further details at the moment..

plcnut No idea on a powerflush. He replaced his Classic with an EZ All system was operating fine before, Just attached existing plumbing to the new boiler

Now my boiler pump is out for the third time since December. Tech is coming again. He is wondering if there is a restriction somewhere. It heats fine and then it’s out

MikeInMa likes this.
  10. plcnut

plcnut

What brand of pump are you running?
    Is in mounted correctly?
    What is going bad when it dies? Windings? seals/bearings?

11. morningwood

morningwood

He probably has an air lock in his heat exchanger. I put a T in my basement so I can push all of the air in the lines out to the boiler via domestic water pressure.

Hopefully his circulator is on his boiler and not in the basement. If it is, that's a whole other can of worms.

plcnut and Sourwood like this.
  12. Sourwood

Sourwood

T is a Taco. The first one went out after 8 years . The replacement was running slow and making a louder noise than normal. They replaced the cartridge u der warranty.

This time it was making no noise. The tech replaced it with a different model Taco .

there were no problems with heat performance so no restrictions are overworking the pump

plcnut likes this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Bingo.
    What is the temp differential before n after the HX?

morningwood and plcnut like this.
  14. plcnut

plcnut

I have been happy with Taco pumps.
    Your last failure sounds like a winding problem. Most other failures lead to excess noise.
    Hopefully you are just dealing with faulty parts and your new pump will last.

I do know that if the shaft is not horizontal you are likely to have issues.
    Also, if the flow through your pump is down, then you need to take extra precautions to ensure no air gets to the pump. When pumping downhill then air bubbles can sit in the pump and slow the flow which can lead to overheating of the pump. I prefer for flow to be up whenever possible so that any air in the system will flow past the impeller.

brenndatomu likes this.
  15. morningwood

morningwood

Depending on pump speed, I see about 15 - 20F across the HX in my furnace. I'd expect the OP to see something similar.

brenndatomu likes this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Not apples to apples by any means, but the boiler at work drops about 40* across the HX.

morningwood likes this.
  17. morningwood

morningwood

Any idea on how many GPM's ? That's a serious amount of heat loss. My guess is, easily >100k BTU's.

brenndatomu likes this.
  18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'd have to look up the pump rating...the boiler is rated at 600k BTU, but we have the burner turned down.

morningwood likes this.
  19. yooperdave

yooperdave

We are dealing with 1" lines all throughout the system I hope? Sometimes, a DIY will buy a less expensive heat exchanger with smaller than 1" connectors.

Also, I think you mentioned that the heat exchanger is sized (btu output) for the house also? Can't remember

brenndatomu likes this.
  20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Only thing that has changed from before (when it worked) is the boiler itself...I still say there's air in it