In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Resume help needed

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by bocefus78, Feb 28, 2018.

1. bocefus78

bocefus78

I made the difficult decision to quit operating my lawn care and landscape business full time, and I'm now applying to a few positions out in the real world.

The problem is they want a resume. Uh, Houston, we have a problem. I don't have one. I haven't been on a job interview in 2 decades.

Anyone have any good resources for a template or something? Is there a preferred way to format it?

Another question. They all want previous employer history. I've worked for myself or family members since I was 22. I'm 39. Do they really want me to list my parents real estate biz as a previous employer? Surely they want something besides me writing self employed. I mean....what kind of reference is listing mommy and daddy? Isn't that going to look bad? Don't get me wrong....we did $10 million plus of sales per year for the decade I was there, so it wasn't a cake walk, easy peasy job.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Ps. I didn't Google this. I'm sure there's a myriad of opinions on writing a resume on the Interwebz, and I would rather get some from you guys. We've got some seriously smart and talented people here. I

Thank you!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Good luck Chris. I could perhaps dig out some stuff from college but it seems most today have other ideas of how to write a resume and also write a cover letter, which I think is very important.

Yes I would list your parents as an employer. But the big thing is to stress that you have been self employed and be specific in what you have done, especially in gaining clients, collecting money, keeping machinery operating, etc, etc.

3. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

I would leave them blank, I;m in a similar history boat..... Leave that stuff blank and ask to speak with the person reviewing your application/resume.... Briefly explain your history. Self employed people with more than 20years of self sufficiency are a real asset to employers looking for responsible people.

4. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

FatBoy85, Eric VW, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  5. cnice_37

cnice_37

It might make sense to get a feel for what line of work you're looking to get into, and get a resume off someone with similar intent.

I can email you mine, but it may not apply at all?!

All I can remember is use leading verbs to describe what you've done "Led a successful and diverse team"... as opposed to "I've managed doofus".

Nowadays the opening blurb is something personal and a bit more vague than in the past "Resourceful and self-motivated engineer eager to lead disruptive technology mission" as opposed to "looking for a job in R&D". I dunno, its really a bunch of B.S. but a good one gets noticed. I've reviewed a decent amount in the past 15 years, and re-wrote my own three times in that span.

6. M2theB

M2theB

I'm sure this will be easy for you when you get to the interview stage.
    Be prepared to describe a difficult situation you had to manage, whether it's a client, employee or vendor or other,
    What you did to actually manage that situation,
    And what the results were.
    I say easy because you've obviously had a lot dealings clients, employees, vendors or others.
    You'll want to chose situations that end up in the positive.
    The key is three parts.

The situation,

What you did,

And what was the result.

Details are impressive!
    Come up with 10 or so and write them down and re write them if need be.
    If not asked specifically for these, trot them out politely if you can. Give them something to hang their hat on.
    Best of luck!

7. justdraftn

justdraftn

It is what it is. You are who you are. You have done what you have done.
    List who you worked for....more important, list what you have done.
    Then tell them(whoever you are applying to) what you can do for them.
    Tell them why they need you.
    As always, the chips will fall where they may.
    As you interview, and get turned down, ask them why?
    Be a pest. Ask them questions.
    You will get a job for some reason that you never saw coming......
    but they did. Good luck.

FatBoy85, bushpilot, Eric VW and 6 others like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Idk, back in the day a short concise resume in block style keeping it to one page was favored, and using impressive actions words helped. I also used this (granted it was an older edition but current for me back then).

Also, I wonder if there are still free templates at monster.com and similar sites, (the big ones back then were free to join and post and use most resources). Get a new free gmail address if you don't want to be listed there ;)

I would add your parents real estate office and do not mention they are your parents, but do mention the things you did there and the cool awesome way you made doing those things more profitable for the company. Also real estate seems to have a big "salesman" aspect in all areas be it maintenance/landscaping/home improvement for showing, whatever. No idea what industry you are looking to get into but "works well with others" is always a necessity, demonstrate that in your interview and if appropriate use some details in your resume how you might have helped sell things at the real estate place.

Keep in mind all of this is based off my previous industries and may not apply to what you are looking at.

Eric VW, Horkn, TurboDiesel and 2 others like this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Oh yes, look up the company and share how you could help the "xyz" that they do. Personalize each cover letter to each company. It worked very well for me back in the day. Likely different industries and it might be different for your target, but I also did hiring too and tossed the resumes with years worked not accounted for......

10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

If you have Microsoft Word, they have resume templates. Many, almost all folks on here are smarter than me, but if you are willing to sit down for a couple of hours on the phone with me and work thru a resume, I will put it together for you.

11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Julie used to look over apps, interview and hire, and fire...
    She might be able to give some ideas for do's and don'ts...

[Like: I remember her saying anyone that limited their hours...went straight into the circular file...)
    Txt me tomorrow

12. Horkn

Horkn

I've done a fair bit of resume work myself, and my wife used to work with/ for Monster when they were big.

I can help if you need as well.

I do know that this one won't work well.

"firewood hoarding, beer drinking, chainsaw wielding weirdo looking to find a way to waste 8-10 hrs a day while getting paid"

That isn't the way to lead off.
    ;)

I also can say after talking with an employer this week in Indiana, that the unemployment rate is 2% in Indiana. At that rate, you should be able to get a job whatever you want. The shop owner I was talking with said as much, also saying that he has a hard time finding quality individuals that he can count on to show up.

Employers like him would kill for guys like you. It's no knock on your resume that you've worked for 20 yrs for your relatives/ self employed. This guy's in Paris, Indiana, so certainly too far for you from what I can tell. But that's just 1 sample. I'm sure there's plenty owners like that by you that need a good smart reliable employee.

13. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Self employed is self motivated!
    That's half the battle today!

14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

You keeping your better customers for a little extra play money?

15. bocefus78

bocefus78

Yep. Gonna cut grass 1 day per week or in the evenings after the main gig.

16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

You’re gonna do great Chris!:yes:
    :handshake:

17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

How's Bentley feel about this change?:eek:

18. bocefus78

bocefus78

Not being able to go to work with me is gonna suck, but he told me as long as the big bags of food get paid for, he won't care.
    :D

Now the real question....why don't we have a few dog smileys here? Lol

19. bocefus78

bocefus78

It begins. I applied yesterday at 5:30pm thru indeed. First interview tomorrow. This is another landscape company. Less than a mile from home. Applied as a backup in case the others don't pan out. I'm nervous as hell.

20. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Short and sweet. Correct spelling and punctuation. Okay so it was mom and dad's business that they subcontracted you. List it under the business name and work completed. Same with your lawn care business. Pick a couple of your business clients that were sad to see you go. Ask them if they would mind being a positive reference for you and if so, there you go. In this day and age, if you can pee clean and have no major pre-existing conditions, being truthful and saying I want a job that has insurance will satisfy many why you are there. Good luck. There are plenty of jobs out there for people wanting to work.

Backwoods Savage, Chaz, Horkn and 4 others like this.