In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hunting Reloading?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Reloader, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Reloader

Reloader

Any shooters and reloaders around?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WeldrDave, MFMc., blacksmith and 7 others like this.
  2. unclefess

unclefess Guest

loading since 83

3. Chaz

Chaz

New to reloading, have nearly everything needed, but haven't punched out any rounds yet.
    :picard:

4. DNH

DNH

Been reloading periodically since the early 90’s. Tend to stock up on my hunting rounds (single stage press loading for precision less than 0.75 MOA) Last load date for the 7 mag, 30-06 and 6.5 Mauser was October 2009. Still have about 40 rounds of each. For white tails I just check my zero every year then however many I kill. Trips out west I’ll shoot dozens to hundreds of rounds in preparation.

Play rounds I tend to load a batch every 1-2 range trips. How ever much brass I have on hand mostly 9 but some 5.56

5. bigfrank

bigfrank

Been loading since 1977. Had many types of reloading presses. Mostly shoot 9mm in my classes and competition, so I'm running a Dillon 650.

For the new reloaders... Once you get ready to go with a progressive press, save you money and buy a Dillon 650. Buy it all set up in the 2 or 3 calibers that you shoot the most. Yes, it's very expensive, but in the long run you will save tons not buying and selling or trashing other presses. Ask me how I know. Keep your single stage. You will always need one.

6. bocefus78

bocefus78

Yep. I reload 9,40,45,44mag,223,and 308win. During the ammo panic of 2012 I bought up every used piece of equipment and components I could find.

Im stocked up for many many years of reloading.

My biggest mistake was thinking I would save money. We all know thats not true.....you just shoot more for the same money haha.

7. Will C

Will C

Been reloading since 1989, handguns and rifles. Currently set up to load .222, .22-250, 243, .250, .25-06, 7mm-08, .308, .30-06, and .38/.357 mag. Need to get .270 dies for my nephews rifle I bought him Christmas.

8. Chaz

Chaz

Can anyone suggest a good case trimmer?

The one I have is collet based to hold the cartridge end, but I'm inconsistent on tightening, and that results in inconsistent cartridge length.

I'm fairly OCD on consistency, so it drives me nuts, I've even trimmed some below min spec.
    :hair:

I have an RCBS Rockchucker system, dies for 30-30, 300 Savage, and 270 Win as that is the most used rounds between myself, best friend, and his FIL.

I guess it's fallen low on my list of priorities as I don't shoot that often anymore.
    :confused:

Should remedy that
    :sherlock:

9. unclefess

unclefess Guest

the newer rcbs uses a plate type shellholder ( the old ones used a collet ) i have used both and the new one is much better ,and faster to put the shells in

10. Chaz

Chaz

Thx, I'll look one up.
    :yes:

11. Will C

Will C

I've had a Redding for 15 years or so. Get good results with it. It is now available me with a micrometer gauge so you can record the adjustment for different calibers.

T.Jeff Veal, metalcuttr and Chaz like this.
  12. bigfrank

bigfrank

What you have for a trimmer for what you are shooting should be just fine. There are lots of trimmers out there, but a collet trimmer works just fine for most hunting calibers.

T.Jeff Veal, metalcuttr and Chaz like this.
  13. trail twister

trail twister

Started out reloading for my 16ga shot gun in 1969 with A mec 650Jr I still own and use for thre 16ga on occation. Then the 30-30 back in in 1971 with a RCBS press well before the rock chuckers release and Pacific die set. Added 308 dies soon after and expanded the tools like a case neck luber, case trimmer, hand primer, and finally a E scale.

I now do the 220 Swift, 243 Win, 7MM08, 32 win special, 300 win mag.
    38 special and 357 mag hand gun ammo.

Added 2 Mec 900G shot shell loaders a 20ga and a 12ga when I started shooting sporting clays in the mid 1990's.

:D Al

14. chris

chris

You all are going to freak at this- was taught to reload shot shells back in the early 60's- handload litterly - so a nail dulled up for a punch to knock out old primer, then install new primer with large dowl on bench top , level teaspoon of powder, a bit of crunched up paper ( what ever was available to act as a wad over the powder),tablespoon of cut up nails screws and whatever to just under the crimp line, little more paper fold the mouth of shell over ( paper shells) tape shut ( friction tape). time to go hunting- the original steel shot loads. Browning Auto 5 12 ga. 30" full choke according to the markings ( still have it and all my appendages and eyeballs. ) later on got a couple of the lee hand load kits, basically the same thing just a bit more refined, even got a powder scale and real shot ( reclaimed). by the 70's had gotten a Mec Jr. man that was a real treasure to me. by the late 70's was reloading everything 8mm mauser ( still have that one also) ,06, 12 and 20 ga. didn't have pistols back then, rimfire rifle Rem Fieldmaster, ( pump ) in 76 was introduced to small bore competition. Ex wife likely still regrets that as it was through her acquaintances where she worked. about 77 we started shooting trap in a couples league, so one evening the local paper was there doing a story - ex was doing very well and I couldn't hit the broadside of barn at 10 paces that night, of course that really intrigued the reporter made the local rag with pictures- I still hear about that every once in awhile. I took a lot ribbing back then though. do not shoot that much any more but was a high master in smallbore, centerfire rifles ( not bad for an old farm boy with no formal training) . in the 88 was in a car accident was a couple years before I could handle the recoil from long guns again then suffered a stroke ( residual of the accident) lost the use of right arm and hand- enter pistols as a means of therapy. attained master class ranking in those also. Most of my hunting is now done with hand held loudenboomers. 308, 7x284 and others. couple dozen calibers I load for now days. Got into precision air rifle and pistol about that time - most of my practice is with those now- as cheap to shoot and I can play in basement or backyard with those ( these are not Daisy or Crossman bb guns)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  15. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Used to bench rest when I was younger. Have reloaded thousands of cartridges. I have backed off considerably in later years reloading only enough for hunting which I do only occasionally anymore. Currently have a Rockchucker and all of the necessary paraphernalia. I have dies for 45-70, 30-06, 300 Savage, 7.62x39, 280 Remington, 6mm Remington. I have been out of serious reloading for long enough that I don't even recognize half of the powders available out there now!

blacksmith, bigfrank and Chaz like this.
  16. chris

chris

and those that you do are not quite the same any more either. A lot of what we used to use were military powders converted or over runs . most the powders now are all brand new mfg lots. The mfg try to hold those to the same specs , they are very close but different. My favorite powder back in the day was 4831 IMR and Hodgen, Accurate arms 3100 - all three were interchangeable iirc the charge was apx 56 gr behind 168 - 190 bthp match pills in my national match Win 70 30-06( push feed ). In those days Mouse guns (ar-m16) were an extremely rare sight on the range and never in 223but generally necked up to 6 or 7 mm. battle gun of the day M14 ( way out of my price range) and plenty of M1 's . even though the M1 was 06 you could not run 4831 in it. the burn curve/impulse would bend the op rod. I cant remember which powders i used for it right now. Between Trap skeet Hi Power and small bore from June through Aug. I would burn up over 2000 rounds. In one week end national match individual, then the point shoot for distinguished followed by the team match full course next day. I would hop over to the skeet range after the high-power and shoot a full four ga. skeet match, 12 and 20 on Sat - 2 rounds of 410 as I did not have a little 28ga on Sun. When I was not on the line shooting or spotting for a team member I was the line officer or the pit boss.

17. B.Brown

B.Brown

I started in 69 bought my first pistol from the PX, had to go to San Diego to pick it up after a waiting period, even way back then. Later when i got out, i bought a Lee hand loading kit, came in a cardboard box, with every thing you needed including a powder dipper. Still have it to this day. Its slow,but, it works. Since then i ''graduated'' from that set up to a RCBS press, then on to a Dillon 550. I "Think" i've saved a lot of money over the years, sure i shoot more. After the initial buying of all the items you need to really get it going, i've bought very little commercially loaded ammo. Then, i just buy it to shoot up and save the brass. I'd hate to guess how much brass i've accumulated over all these years. Its a fun thing to do, working up to a good load for a individual rifle or pistol. And,then graduate from shooting from a few yards to 1,000 yds and hitting a small target by comparison is really gratifying to me. I've got all kinds of little ''tools'' that cut the inside and outside of cases, those little cutters and mandrills are expensive, but, have a purpose.

blacksmith, metalcuttr and Chaz like this.
  18. trail twister

trail twister

To me Reloading is a enjoyable hobby. I like to do just about all of it during a deep cold streach in the winter.
    I started out with one of those rubber drum rock tumblers, it was ok for about 50 rounds of 308 brass.

Then I saw a auction sale ad for a Machine shop going out of bussiness. I wanted a mill so I went to the sale, mill was not in my buget but a big tumbler was.

[​IMG]

I can stuff about 600 rounds of 308, 300 win mag and 220 swift and 7mm08 in it.
    About a hour and a half and I have shinny brass to work with.

[​IMG]

I even tumble my shot shell hulls about 600 at a time of 12 ga.

:D Al

blacksmith, metalcuttr and Chaz like this.
  19. chris

chris

waiting period GC act of 1968 - some of the draconian rules in that were lifted in the late 80's. Did a lot of smithing work 80'strough 90's - got out because of the insurance companies. Its a lot like selling firewood on the dollar side.

metalcuttr and Chaz like this.
  20. fox9988

fox9988

This is what I use, with the drill chucked up in a vice. Very fast. Very precise. Very cheap.

WeldrDave, metalcuttr and Chaz like this.