In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Relined the Waterford

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by FarmerRob, Sep 24, 2020.

1. FarmerRob

FarmerRob

Yesterday I relined the Waterford Box Stove we have with a thicker fire brick than the factory sent over. I am a utilitarian type of person as I am guessing most of us on here are. I sealed all of the cracks and seams between and around the firebrick with Rutland Black Furnace Cement I got at the Tractor Supply. Did the initial inspection and sweeping for the season as well. I will attach a firebox photo of what I did. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Maintenance is a good thing! Sanitary looking job there.

savemoney and FarmerRob like this.
  3. Locust Post

Locust Post

It looks nice with new bricks but I don't think that cement will weather well in there.

savemoney and FarmerRob like this.
  4. FarmerRob

FarmerRob

All of the new bricks are hand cut and friction fitted to the stove. I am using the furnace cement to fill in cracks and add a minor bit of corner gap insulation is all. The stove was made very tight from the factory. But I am taking a few more steps to improve it with heavier/thicker fire brick. We have had this little “dual fuel” box stove for seven seasons now and have heated an old 1959 farm house to our current 2-story home with it. We have refined its use over the years and enjoy it very much. I will add some more pictures of it with some measurements so everyone can get an idea of the size and capability of the little stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savemoney, metalcuttr and fox9988 like this.
  5. Locust Post

Locust Post

As I said it looks real nice. I was just saying I don't think that cement will do real well inside the firebox.

FarmerRob, savemoney and metalcuttr like this.
  6. moresnow

moresnow

Nice new brick. The cement will be toast very quickly. Unnecessary anyhow . Show some more exterior stove pics if you get time. Enjoy.

7. Hoytman

Hoytman

83E7B0E1-48EC-4C2D-BE97-78154A92306B.jpeg DCBD73CB-D473-4A5E-8129-0ED2C8C34A95.jpeg All the Hearthstones I have looked inside of have a cement in them in the corners and even in-between the stones and they use it to fit cast pieces together as well. It always turned me off as being chancy, but I suppose it is necessary.

Might be a different type cement, and it likely is, but they use it in the same manner. I agree though, with fire brick regular furnace cement likely won’t stay. I’d say that out there somewhere there are specialty type cement/sealers that manufacturers use.

I picked a tube of this stuff up the other day at TSC just to have a tube handy. Had never seen it before. If it bonds metal to metal, then this might stay put, but I doubt it.

Edit: Can be removed by sanding or scraping...it won’t stay either. LOL!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Locust Post and metalcuttr like this.