In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Regency GCI60 Control Panel Issue

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by JasonG, Feb 23, 2022.

1. JasonG

JasonG

I've been having an issue with the control panel for a while where the buttons sometimes don't work. Seems to be mostly the power button, but the heat levels as well sometimes. I can turn the unit on by pushing to switch to "automatic" and then switching back to manual, and this switch is on the same board, so I'm assuming it's just a bad connection from the buttons on the board.

I have zero soldering experience, but I'm pretty handy, so is that something worth trying, or should I just look to get a new panel?

My other question is how you get this panel out. Hoping someone who is familiar with this until would know how because I have looked at it in the past and couldn't figure out how to get to it.

CleanFire and imacman like this.
  2. imacman

imacman

Have you you tried unplugging the unit for a minute? Not saying that will cure it, but it sometimes will "reset" the electronics.

CleanFire likes this.
  3. JasonG

JasonG

Yes, did that a few times, but same issue. It seems to be a physical issue with the buttons.

imacman likes this.
  4. badbob

badbob

As far as removal,don't have a clue. But,it has regular switches on the board, underneath the button cover. So if you can get it out you can clean them with contact cleaner. Also something else to try, unplug stove, then unplug the control panel from the control board, plug back in. May have some corrosion on the pins.

schoondog, imacman and CleanFire like this.
  5. CleanFire

CleanFire

The "daughter board" is usually attached from the back -> into the (visible) outer overlay frame, with screws. .. It should unscrew from the back (inside of stove), to detach.

imacman and badbob like this.
  6. JasonG

JasonG

Have to pull it out and give the contact cleaner and reconnecting a try.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can buy the service rails (after wrestling this thing in an out and scratching up my surround)? Can't seem to find them online. Also any suggestions for good places to get other parts in case I need to replace the daughter board? stove-parts-unlimited.com seems most reasonable, but doesn't have the rails. Nothing on ebay. Going to try the local Regency dealer tomorrow.

CleanFire, jtakeman, badbob and 2 others like this.
  7. badbob

badbob

Probably Regency direct or a dealer. Some things they do not sell to non-dealers.

imacman and jtakeman like this.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Most of the daughter board issues are bad connection of the ribbon cable(make sure its tight) or dirty contacts on the push buttons. I usually can revive the buttons with some contact cleaner. Another issue is the ribbon cable often rubs the chassis, wears through and will muck up the works. Check it thoroughly and make sure it isn't chaffed up to the point wires are showing.

Keep us posted! :)

badbob and imacman like this.
  9. JasonG

JasonG

So I pulled the daughter board out, cleaned it and used contact cleaner to clean the buttons and both ends where the ribbon connects. Ribbon was in good condition and no visible damage. Plugged it back in and buttons still don't respond. Think I'm going to need to replace the daughter board. Easy enough fix, but hoping to avoid since they go for +$200.

Thanks again for the help and will reply to update the fix progress.

10. Skier76

Skier76

That’s a bummer! I noticed my level buttons are requiring a firmer press these days. Gonna have to keep an eye on it.

The rails are a game changer for servicing this trove. It makes life a lot easier. I see you are in CT. I got my rails from Superior in Hamden. Which ironically is different from the Superior a few miles up the road in Southington/Pantsville. Hoping you’re able to find a set.

11. JasonG

JasonG

Awesome, thanks. Just contacted them and they can get the parts. That's how my issue with the daughter board started. At first it just took a few presses to get the power to turn on, then to adjust the heat levels. Now the power button doesn't work at all and I can only turn it on by switching to automatic and off by letting it run out of pellets and unplugging.

12. JasonG

JasonG

Daughter board all swapped out and works great. Didn't bother changing the ribbon so I'll keep the new one just in case. Wanted to swap the decal too, but they are insane charging $92 for a plastic label that they know falls apart. Thanks for the help everyone!

badbob, Skier76, imacman and 4 others like this.
  13. Skier76

Skier76

Great news! Glad you are making progress!

imacman likes this.