In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Re-Paint A Kamado BBQ Grill?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Mr A, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Mr A

Mr A

I'm looking for high heat paint to refurbish my old ceramic cooker. Seems black is widely available, not much else unless looking at high heat engine paint.. Lots of old Webers were various colors- I'm guessing anything but black didn't work well?

2. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I found some high temp stove paints avaiable online back when we first got the Lopi.

3. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

4. JoeyD

JoeyD

PoolguyinCT and Mr A like this.
  5. Mr A

Mr A

I'm a bit past the learning curve using the kamado. It's a lot like cooking in an oven, it is an oven, but with fire and smoke in it. I use it mostly for low and slow smokes. Very easy to hold a pork butt at 215 for 7-12 hours. All about the air control. Control the air, control the heat. Less air leakage to dry out the meat.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
    raybonz likes this.
  6. Razo

Razo

Wow nice to know that stuff is out there. Engine paint is only rated to 500.

7. golf66

golf66

This is actually a common and very doable project. Step 1 is to disassemble the grill so you can paint every square inch. Clean it with a degreaser as it will likely have grease/soot deposits that paint will not adhere to. Scuff sand the ceramic and then wipe the whole thing down with a tack cloth. Hit it with a coat of high-temperature primer to level out imperfections and give the finish coat a good base to adhere to. Paint with finish coat. Keep in mind, spray paint does not like cold temperatures so this is a project to do in a warm garage, or wait until spring. I saw a beat-up old Egg that was fractured in a few places....the guy bonded the ceramic back together with furnace cement, took his time repainting it and the dang thing came out beautiful. Good luck.

8. Daryl

Daryl

Don't be afraid of the Bling.