In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Question For the Wood Stove Sages

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by MightyWhitey, Jun 18, 2018.

1. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

I believe the next burning season will be my 7th; since I made the commitment to heat with wood.

Anyhow; I need to replace the door gasket on my 13NC, as it's pretty hard, and I was questioning the seal I was getting from it at times last burning season.

Question is this................Should I replace the "glass gasket" at the same time I do the door gasket on my stove???

Thanks!!

2. papadave

papadave

Heck, why not. Oh wait a minute.......I just looked at their newer pricing.:hair:
    The shipping cost has been removed, but prices went up quite a bit from ESW.
    13-NC, 13-NCP, 13-NCL, 13-NCG & 13-NCMH.
    Their door gaskets are pretty dense from the get-go. Don't try a different brand.......they don't work well. I did and wasn't happy, and I'm almost always happy.:D

3. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

does the glass move inside the existing gasket? If it doesn't slide around relative to the door don't waste your time and money. The door gasket gets the most wear.

4. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

I would imagine the glass is fine it doesn’t move around like the door does. Personally I’d do both just because you covered both bases at the same time.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

At 7 years I'd be tempted to do it.

papadave, Eric VW and MightyWhitey like this.
  6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Lots of good FHC advice above as usual. But the NC 13, as most glassed loading door stoves go, has an air wash, yes? This fact alone should keep the gasket in better shape for much longer than the door gasket......
    Check fit/feel, act accordingly.:salute:

7. papadave

papadave

Yep, pretty tough to see it from here to know for sure.......:whistle:

brenndatomu and Eric VW like this.
  8. moresnow

moresnow

Just a thought. Run a dollar bill test around the door seal before replacing it. Should provide a answer to whether or not you had excess air feeding yer far! I'd consider changing the glass gasket when doing the door. Why not. It's June:thumbs: Stoves need love to!
    It's reassuring going into the burning season knowing you have good gaskets. Sucks staring at a hungry, wood abusing fire that has the air control completely shut down:picard: