In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Question about checking

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Woodchucker, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Woodchucker

Woodchucker

Hey all. A relative wanted some wood slices for a baby shower, so I cut some last night. I figured since I sell firewood, I could put some slices on Facebook marketplace. Well I've had 6 people contact me within 12 hours. One order of 30, and another order for 20. My question is, if I cut them today, how long will it take for them to check in the center? They vary from 6 to 12 inches in diameter and one inch or thicker. Also, how would one finish them if they are still green or wet? I won't be doing any of that but if someone buys them from me I don't want them to turn out bad. Some people want them for projects and some just want them for outdoor decorations. Thanks.

Eric VW, M2theB, jo191145 and 5 others like this.
  2. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

I cut one last fall, and hit it hard with boiled linseed oil. It was the base of a live maple, 13" round and 2"thick. The oil did not prevent it from checking over winter, but the checks have all closed up again, as of a few weeks ago.

I might oil it again, but Im guessing it isnt fully dry.

Also, while it was very green, I sanded it with 60 grit. If it was dry, it would have sanded better.

Perhaps this year, ill make some coasters in the same way....
    Sca

Steve, Eric VW, M2theB and 5 others like this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz

I think it's nearly impossible to stop checking cracks on cookies.
    :doh:

Here's an interesting read though.

Cutting and Drying Cookies – Matt Cremona

Pentacryl seems to be a commonly used method of displacing the moisture.

But it won't work overnight.

Mag Craft, eatonpcat, Eric VW and 5 others like this.
  4. jo191145

jo191145

The easiest perhaps only way to stop checking is find wood that has already dried fairly well without checking already. I know, not easy.

I had these slices cut out of a fairly dry Black Locust branch. You can see a little checkin on the outer perimeter but it never progressed further.

BE35FA10-442D-4DD2-95D2-D1D5B1B0BA95.jpeg
    I did a little experiment this winter. I had cut a bunch of small cookies on my cordwood saw for a projecT I thought I might get to this winter. Never did get to it but here’s what I did. I piled some of the cookies around the back of my woodstove. Yes, torture.
    But anything that survived without checking is now pretty much guaranteed to never check. Mostly the dry barkless Black locust without double piths survived. Some cherry checked up. I have t actually gone through them all but guesstimate 50% survived. Mostly because the wood was pretty dry already and BL seems to take it better than other species.
    These are some of the cookies I tortured.
    B3CB2303-0830-408D-BD95-1F4BB2DA3D44.jpeg

5. Woodchucker

Woodchucker

I do have a small cedar log i got from a milling friend that was already pretty dry. It had cracks forming around the outside but thats not as unappealing as the checking in the center. Maybe I will cut some different types of wood and see how they age and post it here. I already have at least 150 cookies that I need to cut for customers.

Steve, MikeInMa, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  6. jo191145

jo191145

I should note, just like your cedar, the small peripheral cracks in my BL cookies were already there before milling.
    I did cut up a bunch of larger BL cookies and handed them out to the womenfolk for stepping stones in their gardens. I don’t think any checked but have t inspected any lately. I stay away from the flower gardens or I’ll get more work to do LOL. The moisture from the ground will stop checking,,,,but not aid in any fast drying.
    Different species will have different results. I have some large (Catalpa) cookies in my basement for over 20 years now. Not a crack anywhere in them. I got these from a tree that was taken down at a relatives house. So it was dead and dying. Just happened to notice the shape of the flare would be perfect for extra large barstool pads. Another project I never did. :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Large tote or bucket, lay cookies in, weigh down, fill to cover the top cookie- with denatured alcohol.
    Wait.
    IDR for how long.

Chaz and Woodchucker like this.
  8. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Great advice until the end!!

Chaz and Eric VW like this.
  9. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Maybe you can research it and report your findings.... that would be great, thanks.
    :handshake:
    :D

Chaz likes this.
  10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I did enough researching trying to figure out what IDR means....:picard:

Chaz and Eric VW like this.
  11. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Mrs MikeinMa handles our checking, paying the bills. :cool:

Chaz, Eric VW and eatonpcat like this.