In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Quadrafire issues

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Snowy Rivers, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Few days ago the Quad 1000 in our downstairs rental apartment took a dump and would not stay running.

Thermocouple was in bad shape....
    Needed to get the unit up and going ASAP
    Yanked the Thermocouple out of our upstairs Quad and grabbed the control box as well.

Within 30 minutes the stove was back up and going... :thumbs:

Ordered some new thermocouples...they arrived and so I decided to get our upstairs stove back together...

Installed the new thermocouple and gave it a go.....NO JOY.

So..the thermocouple on the downstairs stove was bad....but the control box was shot too.
    After 28 years slogging through winter after winter long and miserable the box gave up.

Not really happy with the tariff on the new boxes.....I need to get our upstairs stove back together, plus we need a spare control.....

Surfing the web I found a fella (Turns out that he is local (20 minutes away) that rebuilds the Quad controllers.

We met last night and he was pretty sure he could have the box fixed in a day or so.

Price was good too.:thumbs:

So we shall see...

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Hope it works out for y’all!:)
    I’m sure you will update. :yes:
    28 years is a long time for electronics!!!:eek:

imacman likes this.
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Quad had a batch of mis-labeled TC just reverse the connections and try again.

imacman and Eric VW like this.
  4. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Well here it is.

Got a call from the fella fixing the Quad box

A couple problems

The green LED indicator lamp on the box was not soldered on one leg.
    The capacitor had missing/poor solder job on one leg.

Fixed and off to the rodeo.
    The Control functioned perfectly on the test bench.

Plugged the box in this morning AND NO JOY

Arrrrrrgh

I had spoken to the yrch at PANTROL (Originally built the box for the stove Mfg)
    He mentioned that some aftermarket Thermocouples are color coded wrong.

I swapped the red and yellow from where the factory TC had been on the terminal board.

JOY JOY JOY
    Stove went right to work and ran a cycle.

The shutdown timer seems to be a tad short....there were still some embers in the pot after the exhaust fan shut off..

I will research that issue.
    Possibly the timer is not working correctly......

ANYONE BUYING AN AFTERMARKET Thermocouple and no joy....swap the red and yellow wires at the terminal.....
    There are slight differences between the factory TC and the aftermarket ones sold online.

I had taken a piccy of the orientation of the TC wires before replacing the TC
    The aftermarket unit is not in the correct polarity.

Pantrol tech said "Incorrect polarity will not hurt anything...JUST WILL NOT WORK"
    So..
    Stove runs fine accept I want that cooldown timer to run longer and get rid of all the glowing pellets in the pot AND turn off the green LED on the box before shutting the exhaust blowers off.

We are gaining on it....

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and Eric VW like this.