In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Putting flue through corrugated roof

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by accidental forester, Feb 9, 2017.

1. accidental forester

accidental forester

We're planning on installing a small stove in our out-shed. I could use the rear flue connection, go through the back wall (also corrugated), a 90° bend and then up past eves, gutter, etc. I'd rather use the top the flue connection and make a straight shot up and through the corrugated roof. My intuition tells me I can make a fairly tight opening and silicone the gap, but I'd like a cleaner solution. Does anyone have any suggestions?

wildwest likes this.
  2. Deadwood

Deadwood

Does this scenario assume the pipe will not be near wood truss-members or other pieces of wooden structural support?

3. jeff_t

jeff_t

This works really well. I didn't buy it from here, I have no connection whatsoever, and I certainly didn't pay that much less than four years ago. Excel's mobile theme doesn't seem conducive to copying a link for just one item, and this place was next in the google search.

Installation is not as difficult as it may seem. I have some good pics somewhere that I can dig up if you want.

I used it with Supervent pipe, by the way, and the Supervent storm collar seems perfect.

wildwest and accidental forester like this.
  4. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

I used something similar to this.... It bends to form around the ribs.

image.jpeg

5. fox9988

fox9988

I ran mine through the ridge cap. Cut it tight, siliconed it and put a storm collar on it. No leaks.
    I'd cut the hole tight and silicone it regardless of how you decide to do it.

greendohn and wildwest like this.
  6. accidental forester

accidental forester

Thanks lads, all the suggestions are good. Something like the Dektite collar in addition to silicone should do the trick. There's nothing combustible along the path so should okay on that front.

wildwest and Fanatical1 like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

I would have thought that by now the manufacturers of the steel roofing would have offered something.

Ashwatcher, Fanatical1 and wildwest like this.
  8. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

They sure do... Lots of options.... lots of pipes coming the metals roofs, hot water tanks, plumbing and furnace vents, etc....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Ashwatcher, yooperdave and wildwest like this.
  9. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yup. Just doesn't look and fit as well as it would on a traditional (asphalt) roof. I have used the boots as pictured above and also the standard roof jacks and they just don't fit well.

Can it be done and sealed up to prevent leaking? Absolutely.

Fanatical1 likes this.
  10. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

Yep, make sure you get one for higher heat and I also used high heat clear silicone and self tapping screws per the instructions. No leaks to date.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Ashwatcher and yooperdave like this.
  11. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

There's a local stove shop here I talked to about this and he showed me a heavy lead flanged set up to form to the roof since I was looking to go through aluminum corrugated roof myself

yooperdave likes this.