In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pulled the trigger on a Yoder pellet smoker

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by BDF, Sep 8, 2022.

1. BDF

BDF

Last weekend, right in the middle of smoking a pork roast (of course), my Camp Chef rolled over and died. It had been OK in the maybe 4 or 5 years I have had it but it did have problem areas, especially the controller. I have actually been looking for a better smoker for months and just did not actually purchase one.

I whittled the choice down between Lone Star Grillz and a Yoder, finally deciding on the Lone Star. Unfortunately they are 18 weeks out at least, which means available around Feb. 2023. Yoder has the YS640 in stock, so I grabbed one of those- it should be here next week. One thing I really wanted was a Fireboard controller, which both smokers use but the Yoder only has two probe inputs while the Lone Star has six. But two probes is not any kind of deal- killer IMO.

Hoping for the best, the Yoder has a long track record with a lot of really positive reviews and reports. It looks to be well built and accessories and spare parts are readily available.

Both smokers are pricey so now that I have the Yoder on the way, and maybe even more importantly paid for, it is very unlikely there is another smoker in my future.

Anyway, will report back once the Yoder is here and working. I have a really good looking full pork butt waiting for it, which I had to throw in the freezer when the Camp Chef went south.

NYH1, Dakota Hoarder, Skier76 and 5 others like this.
  2. highland_hunter

highland_hunter

I have the YS640, and LOVE it. I do have some buyers remorse in not going bigger, but generally just the wife and I. I have cooked for up up to 20 people on it so that remorse went away pretty quickly.

Last weekend I smoked a pork roast and chicken, see pics in the what are you smoking thread, and was able to take the wife on a ride on the bike for two and a half hours. I was never away from the house with my former Weber smoker. Having the ability to set the temp nice and low and walk away from it for a while is awesome.

I've smoked pork butt, turkey, chicken, salmon, and grilled burgers, steaks, and the like. I used to get compliments when I used my old Weber charcoal smoker, but nothing like what I get from the Yoder. The wife is quickly loving the pork that comes off the Yoder and her main like was chicken, and she is a picky eater so that says something.

Any way enjoy it, I'm sure you will love it. I know I love mine!

Brian

3. BDF

BDF

Great, thanks for you experience with the smoker.

I am replacing a Camp Chef with the Yoder and the C.C. is virtually the identical size so it will be amply big enough for our needs. As long as I can get a packer brisket in it comfortably I will be fine size- wise.

Just received a delivery schedule that it will be here Monday afternoon. Surprisingly fast delivery as I only ordered it Wed. Should be smoking something by Tues. :)

Also Brian

PelletHound likes this.
  4. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Heard great things about Yoder smokers. I do know they’re very heavy, so seemingly built well. enjoy

PelletHound and Chvymn99 like this.
  5. BDF

BDF

So the FedEx proposed delivery of 12 Sep (yesterday) between 2:00 and 4:00 PM did not quite work out. Given the tracking number from All Things Barbeque, it looks like it will be here Friday 16 Sep. No bid deal and honestly the Monday delivery seemed a bit hopeful in the first place.

Went through my pellet pile and I have enough to do some damage when the smoker gets here :) Cleared a space in the garage to take delivery but especially to get enough room to open the container(s) and put it all together. Still considering where to put it- on the open, uncovered deck or in the garage where I can roll it to either the end of the driveway or keep it in the end of the garage and put a window fan behind it to blow out the smoke.

Rubbing my hands together in anticipation...... :yes::D

PelletHound, eatonpcat and Chvymn99 like this.
  6. BDF

BDF

The Yoder arrived last Friday. Got a couple of simple cooks, actually grilling on it, and so far it is excellent other than the learning curve, which is entirely on me. This bad boy really puts out the heat! So far, 'high' seems to be a bit too high, which is a great thing in my opinion.

A really minor complaint, is that there is no hopper dump to change pellets. Not really a problem of course, just not as convenient as the Camp Chef was in that regard.

On the positive side, setting up Wi-Fi took less than 60 seconds, as compared with the five years (over and over and over and over again) it took with the Camp Chef. Excellent software to control the smoker via iPhone app, very well integrated regarding both time and temperature as triggers to change to a new temperature. Really quite sophisticated IMO and IME.

The smoker comes basically fully assembled with the exception of the bottom frame containing the wheels and castors. But the smoker is assembled on its side, so putting the bottom gear on is super- easy and quite safe, followed by a 90 degree roll- over to stand it upright.

Manufacturing and materials seem excellent and with even a modicum of care this thing should last years and probably decades, given the occasional spare part or two of course.

On an amusing note, I have the smoker in the garage and use it at the end of the garage floor, with the smoke stack actually outside. It will go on my deck in the backyard but at the moment, this situation works very well...... or at least it did until my new Tailwind garage door controller decided to close the door on said smoker because it was 'time to close the door, 6:00 PM. Imagine my surprise. I had to use both paws and several bad words to fend off the door until the overload kicked in and it raised again, with an easy one- inch to spare in not hitting the smoker. Before I was done panting over that, it tried to close the door one more time although I arrested it sooner and a bit further from the top lid of the smoker.

So color me a happy Yoder pellet owner! I will post again when I have a bit more experience and also have some photos of slabs of meat that have been smoked on this thing. Now as long as America does not run out of pigs, cattle or chickens, I am looking forward to a very high cholesterol and tasty diet. :)

Skier76, PelletHound, Eckie and 2 others like this.