In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pulled Pork is on the menu tonight

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Paul bunion, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I have a triad of butt pieces, each weighing in at about 3 lbs. Going right now at 225. There will be no problem getting these cooked by dinner time.

IMGP9828.JPG

2. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

And here they were 10 hours later. I bumped the temp to 250 mid afternoon. Got them up to 190+ by 5:30 when I wrapped them in foil and stuck them in a cooler for an hour. Served it on buns with red sause. I guess it was good, both kids asked for seconds.

IMGP9830.JPG

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Looks awesome!
    You make your own sauce?

mdavlee likes this.
  4. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Yea, simple cider vinegar, ketchup, sugar and red pepper. The brand of ketchup makes a difference. Heinz will taste different than Hunts or any other.

mdavlee likes this.
  5. Mr A

Mr A

I started a 15 pound butt this morning at 6am this morning. My POS Brinkmann electric never got more than 160 in the 30's degree weather. I did get 5 hours of smoke on it, and took it inside to finish in the oven at 250, due to the slow start. Sitting at 187 now, about another hour or so. time to switch from pork butts to pork bellies

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    swags and mdavlee like this.
  6. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I gotta say, this is the second mouth watering thread I have seen on FHC today, both of them looked awesome. Wish you guys lived closer to me

mdavlee likes this.
  7. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Was it the temperature or wind? Wind is the enemy when it comes to maintaining temperature with the Weber. I've used it plenty of times when it is in the teens or single digits without issue. I made a wind block out of that foil lined bubble wrap insulation (the name of which I forget) by stapling a length into cylinder a little bigger than my smoker and allowed for a little air to get in under. Works real well.

mdavlee likes this.
  8. mdavlee

mdavlee

Looks great. I wish I was there for supper.:MM:

My IS heats my home likes this.
  9. Mr A

Mr A

It was the cold, and my north facing back yard in the shade. I wrapped the electric brinkjmann with roxul insulation and got it up to 200. I decided if I wanted to eat that night, I would have to bring it inside.

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

If you want to add more body and flavor to your BBQ sauce, add apple sauce to it. About the same amount as the ketchup.

Mr A likes this.
  11. Certified106

Certified106

Looks Great! I still have a few vac sealed packs in the freezer from my last time. As soon as that's gone it's time to grab a few more pork butts and smoke them up.