In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

propane fire stove won't light

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Farmerbrown393, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Farmerbrown393

Farmerbrown393

Hey everyone! Sorry if this post isn't aloud here and if so it may be removed or moved to correct thread.

My girlfriend and I have this lopi propane gas stove in our kitchen. It's very hard to get a spark to get it started and takes a good amount of time and also now the igniter / pilot wont stay lit. What do you guys think the issue could be?

P.S. Yes, this is my first time ever working with a propane fire stove.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I can’t tell you where to look beyond the usual internet searching, but I suspect the thermopile or thermocouple that keeps the pilot lit might be spent. Pretty common. Also common is the possibility of a spider web in the the supply line like sometimes happens on a gas grill.
    Others will undoubtedly chime in.

3. Farmerbrown393

Farmerbrown393

Are both thermopile or thermocouple used in a propane stove or just one? I got to get the manual out and see what the part numbers are so I can get them or something. Cause the spark button used to ignite the pilot is kind of shot as well.

mat60, Chaz and Eric VW like this.
  4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

It’s either or on the T/P or T/C, up to the manufacturer what’s used.

mat60 and Chaz like this.
  5. Farmerbrown393

Farmerbrown393

Thank you! I'm gonna go see if I can find the serial number on this thing and see what i can find. Looks old and nothing that I see in the owner's manual tells me any info that I can see so far.

6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Of course it goes without saying, working on a propane heating appliance can be dangerous/deadly, so please proceed with utmost caution and care. Make sure the external supply (tank?) is turned off before starting any work inside.

7. Farmerbrown393

Farmerbrown393

I personally don't think I'll be touching it just for the simple fact I enjoy my house and don't wanna blow it up after a few weeks of owning it hahaha. I'll probably have my contractor come in and take a look at it for me and get it fixed by a professional.

mat60, Eric VW and Chaz like this.
  8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:salute:
    :handshake:

mat60 likes this.
  9. badbob

badbob

Working with propane is much safer than changing the fuel filter on your gas powered truck or car.Just so much stigma and terror information has been put out,over the years.Your manual shows and tells how to check the pilot flame height,remove and clean the pilot hood,and even adjust the flame height for the pilot.Ever see that in a car/truck owners manual?????? Just Sayin

Farmerbrown393, Horkn and TurboDiesel like this.
  10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

A98826BC-3953-4E03-BE83-C8192067972C.jpeg

Sounds about right.