In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Project Retro ecoboost f150 build

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Reddingnative, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I bought this stock 1993 ford f150 about 5years ago. I loved the idea of a torque monster inline six, 5spd, and always liked the older body styles. Found this local for 2700$ clean as can be, smogged tagged clean title. Ac, cruise and ready to work.
    I added a front bumper i bent and welded with scraps, homemade welded front spring spacers, and chamber flowmaster style exhaust, dumped at rear axle. A few functional mods.
    I started aquiring parts a year ago for a turbo build. I have done home built ford turbo set ups before, so i called around and got some of the basics. So far i am going to run a volvo 16t turbo, volvo fmic, integrated bov and wastegate in turbo, stock upper manifold with welded lower manifold for turbo adapter. Fuel Management so far is 19lb 5.0 injectors, innovate wideband and will fab a modified fpr. Still need to buy a Fmu. The y pipe is for the pita dual throttle bodies to adapt the turbo piping. I have a tach and boost gauge mounted, but need a pod for the wideband. All in all it will be a 700$ or so kit pieced together.

Super simple setup, even at 5psi will be a nice reliable power adder. If i find a nice running 300 six ill buy it for a parts truck, until then ill keep plugging away at this project bit by bit. Ultimate goal would be to have a nice clean stock looking f150 capable of spanking on some newer v8 half tons. If nothing else, i like being different!

2. Horkn

Horkn

That should be a sweet setup when done. I know the 300 is a stout block. I never thought that there'd be turbos finding their way onto them. But it makes sense, only one turbo to plumb.

XXL, papadave and eatonpcat like this.
  3. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

They tend to act like a diesel. Max tq is low at 2000rpm, max hp is 3k or so. 3500 it's ready to shift. Pairing the turbo with the engine was done with help of my engineering buddy using compressor maps. Looked at a LOT of maps, and this one fit the bill perfect. I wouldn't say no to a holset turbo but all the diesel guys are snatching the decent ones up and prices went crazy in the last 10 years

Also a picture of my two gauges-

Attached Files:

XXL, Horkn and eatonpcat like this.
  4. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

That's gonna make some good torque for sure.
    I wouldn't sweat not getting a holset. They have really nice efficiency ranges but I agree you are sized well for the application.
    Boost off idle probably!

What type of innovate did you spring for?
    I have several, the software is a joke but most of the gages are pretty nice and accuracy is very good.

An open downpipe turbo whistle....people will think your running a clean burning Cummins:dex:

XXL likes this.
  5. Redfin

Redfin

Cool build. Keep this updated please. I have all the parts for a 22re turbo on propane for my woods buggy. Im eager to get back to it.

XXL and Horkn like this.
  6. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

Ill keep it updated for sure. With three kiddos, this isn't definitely on the back burner. I forgot what innovate wideband I bought, i just got the base model wideband kit. I have a megasquirt setup leftover from my last turbo ford build, but want it to be simple as i have to swap to stock every other year for smog. Hence the fmu/bolt on stock manifold. My plan is to use the downpipe pictured, open of course. Lol.

XXL and Horkn like this.
  7. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

9FED2C6B-3CAC-4AA0-9E5C-DCE0FF51D2AE.jpeg Well a long time, but sold the project in favor of a f250 7.3. Am able to sell the turbo and wideband, fmic and piping. My wife snapped a picture of when I was selling the truck to it’s new owner. Super great guy (firefighter) looking for a inline 6 wood hauler. Got 3400$, was pleased, gave him all the extra parts I had. Still sad to see it go.

XXL and eatonpcat like this.
  8. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Bought it for $2700 used it for almost 8 years and sold it for $3400? I'd say it served you well!

eatonpcat, Reddingnative and XXL like this.