In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Progress Hybrid Cooktop Gasket

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Lakeside, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Lakeside

Lakeside

Hey everyone, I had to replace the gasket on my cooktop tonight because it was leaking a little smoke near the back corner. I was wondering what the recommendation is before having a fire in the stove. How long should the glue set up? The gasket went in fine and I'm hoping it solves the problem but don't want to light a fire too soon. I used all the materials shipped by Woodstock.

2. Flamestead

Flamestead

The glue just keeps the gasket from falling/lifting out, which really isn’t much of an issue with that one. Overnight would be more than adequate, and I’ve done the door gasket with less time.

3. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

If your stove gasket was leaking then would it suck air instead of leak smoke out? Sort of like a stove pipe that isn’t perfectly sealed? I have a Progress also and I’m just checking so I can keep an eye on the gaskets.

mat60 likes this.
  4. Flamestead

Flamestead

Both happen, one is more annoying than the other. I find it most noticeable, in both cases, when transitioning after a reload from a hard/hot startup to a fully closed damper. Using a pipe damper in addition will increase the chance of leaks out.

Smoke smells tend to be from the door side (usually that’s not a coincidence - usually the door gasket is the culprit).

You can look for flames within the firebox being fed from a leak of air coming in. I’ve seen it around the door, at the lower corner.

There are quite a few other gaskets, but most are clamped in a stationary position and don’t get moved around like the door, and to a much lesser extent, the top.

mat60, wildwest and OhioStihl like this.
  5. Lakeside

Lakeside

Flamestead I believe you are correct about the door gasket. I purchased this stove last summer and it started out fine but the smoke smell has been slowly increasing as time goes on. Since I replaced the cooktop gasket there has been no change. You described exactly what is happening when I do a reload with a pipe dampener. I've been talking to woodstock and they think the dampener may be the issue because it is located right above the stove. After a lot of investigating last night it seems that the smell is coming from the hinge side of the loading door. My stove in top vented with a straight run of 27' pipe. Draft is certainly not a problem. I'd like to be able to use the pipe dampener because it's the only effective way to control the burn time do to the draft.

Did replacing the door gasket help your problem during the reloads. It seems my stove with emit a smell for about 2 hours after the reload. It's not a lot but noticeable around the house.

As usual woodstock has been very helpful but I don't want to start replacing pipes and dampeners unless absolutely necessary.

Flamestead and wildwest like this.
  6. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Lakeside, as you are facing the stove, what side is your loading door located?

wildwest likes this.
  7. Lakeside

Lakeside

wildwest likes this.
  8. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

There is an air intake on the right side behind the stove. Sometimes when I reload and the air lever is in the full air position smoke will puff out the back right corner of the stove. I move the lever to minimal air position and the smoke will stop and I finish reloading. I’m wondering if the smoke smell you have is from the door or the air access port on the back of the stove

9. Lakeside

Lakeside

OhioStihl I had that happen one time several months ago. I haven't had an issue since and that's not what I'm dealing with right now. Although I do appreciate the insight. What's happening right now is a slow leak in the back right corner of the stove somewhere. It is worse when I do a reload into the hot stove and close everything down. I let the wood get charred before I close things down but once I adjust the flu dampener the smell will get more intense. Last night at Woodstock's request I did the burns with the dampener wide open. While this certainly helped reduce the smoke smell, it did not eliminate it. It's tough to pinpoint exactly where the originating point is but it appears that the smell is strongest right above the door hinge. Woodstock is now sending me a new gasket for the door but the stove is only about 6 months old so I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not. They also thought that having my flu dampener right on top of the stove as in the picture might be a problem. The pipe was installed by a local wood stove company and I honestly wouldn't have known that the dampener could be in the wrong location. I'm not entirely sold on that being the problem though because even with the dampener wide open the smell still persists just at a lesser amount. I'll have to see what happens after I replace the gasket on the loading door sometime next week. It sure is a beautiful stove and overall I've been very happy but this smell has progressively gotten worse over the last couple of months. I need to find a resolution. IMG_20200206_173537.jpg IMG_20200206_173524.jpg

Flamestead, wildwest and OhioStihl like this.
  10. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Nice looking hearth. I hope you figure out where the smoke smell is coming from.

11. Flamestead

Flamestead

Yes, replacing the door gasket does help. While waiting, try “fluffing” the gasket a bit. I’ve used the corkscrew on my jackknife to gently pull some of the most compressed material back out. I’ve also pushed inward on some of the gasket that has smooshed out.

These doors and latches have no adjustment. They are dead-simple, but once you fully compress the gasket that’s it. When I replace the gasket I try to not fully latch the door (I latch it, but don’t force all the way down to the point of metal to metal in the latch).

When you replace the gasket, the glue is just to tack the backside of the gasket to the door frame. Don’t saturate the gasket with glue because that will take away its ability to compress.

I’ve replaced it multiple times. Once I cut the material too short - that’s one you remember the next time. I’ve also left it too long/bunched, and was unable to latch the door at all. Test it before the glue drys. Simple job, but just another thing to do.

12. Flamestead

Flamestead

I’ve had a piece of soapstone break in the corner. I’ve cemented it back in once, and it lasted a week or two. I might try to make a wire pin to keep the bottom in place and then cement again, but not until we have warmer weather.
    BCA95F70-5860-4E63-9C22-4761B4AB595D.jpeg

13. Lakeside

Lakeside

Flamestead thanks for the follow up. I'll get a new gasket next week and hopefully that helps. I really love the stove. I suppose every stove has one small issue or another. It certainly does a good job heating our house. I've only been burning red maple this year because I had a bunch of it seasoned. The burn times have been pretty good, in the 8 hour range. I'm hope that gets better when I start burning red oak next year. Time will tell.

14. Buck1200

Buck1200

Hello All. Has there been any resolution to this smoke leakage issue?

Eckie likes this.