In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Problems sighting in-Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Will C, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Will C

Will C

Went to sight in my Savage 99 today. Just put a Leupold 2.5-8 scope with one piece Leupold bases and low rings on it. I have had the scope for 15 years or more. Had it on several rifles through the years. Have had the rifle for several years, normal shoots 1.5" groups. Just upgraded the mount and rings from the cheap Weaver style that were on it.
    Shot at 25 yards. Not on the target. Moved target to 10 yards-not on target. Got a large piece of paper, 8 inches low at 10 yards. Adjusted the scope up as far as I could-no more adjustment. Fired 3 shots-one hole but 6 inches low.
    I would suspect loose mount screws or loose base screws, but I shot the rifle 8-10 times, and the last 3 shots were touching. Even at 10 yards I don't think you can do that with loose screws. I also checked the ring screws and they are tight.
    I will probably try another scope on the rifle, bit not likely before deer season-that's ok, I have other rifles.
    Thoughts? Advice? Something I haven't thought of?

2. Chaz

Chaz

For what it's worth, it certainly doesn't seem to be the scope or loose mounting.

Have ya shot an email to Leupold?

Looking at comments, you're not alone..

From Leupold site..

Submitted 23 days ago

By Disappointed buyer

From Kathleen, GA

Bought the Leupold standard base for Ruger 10/22 (51723) and the 1" standard rings (49901) as Leupold's website recommended. I have no where near enough elevation adjustment to zero the scope on my 10/22. Bullet is impacting two feet low at about 40 yards with the elevation turret maxed out. This seems like an engineering design flaw to me; the 10/22 is one of the most popular 22lr platforms and I would have appreciated Leupold doing a better job of engineering their "standard" base and "standard' rings. I have no idea where to buy shims to make this work. Will probably send these items back and ry to figure out a better solution. What a waste of my time. Now I have to spend more money shipping these items back...

Merchant Response

Avid Shooter, I'm sorry you've had a hard time with getting that rifle system up and running, but we're here to help! Running out of elevation adjustment is not an uncommon problem with scope mounting, especially on rifles without a threaded barrel-receiver relationship like the 10/22. We actually manufacture that base with a 30MOA incline already, due to the 10/22's inherent tenancy for low point of impact. Seeing that you need more correction to that scope's alignment to the rifle, I'd let you know that we also provide mounting shims to our customer free of charge at their request. Please contact us here at 1-800-LEUPOLD, or at [email protected] with your mailing information and the details of your rifle and scope and we'd be happy to get these to you and help you troubleshoot this situation. Have a good one! Leupold Technical Service

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Trust me Will C when I say I’m hesitant to suggest that maybe you should open your eyes....
    :whistle:

:rofl: :lol:

:D

Just kidding, couldn’t resist. :handshake:

Chaz likes this.
  4. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I have an older 99 that I mounted a Leupold 2x7 scope on and I had to machine a mount on it to get within the adjustment range. Apparently it is a not uncommon problem with that particular gun!

5. Will C

Will C

I think that may be the problem metalcutter. I've never had that experience in 30 years of mounting scopes on dozens of guns for myself and many others.

6. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

Did you procure the proper bases? They are not universal.

7. chris

chris

Bingo bases. front and rear are different heights for separate ones , a one piece base should be the same thing or have a milled step in it. quick check with a caliper would show it up. Just fixed a 98 mauser with this problem- bases improperly installed ( I know it's against the grain, but sometimes it helps to check instructions)

Sandhillbilly likes this.