In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

PowerSmith PAC102 Ashes in ash filter due to hole in one!

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Jun 2, 2019.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    As you know, We upgraded to the new PowerSmith SS PAVC 102 from the old green PAVC 101. See Link
    Which Pellet Stove Ash Vac do you have and what do you like about it?
    So far we are very happy with it, since the secondary filter has easy access to blow out with a compressor. However the course exhaust port filter can only be cleaned by removing the top screws that hold the motor in but does not need cleaning very often.
    So the final results are in and it is the best one I have had for the money, it comes with 2 filter bags and quite a few attachments. I still prefer using the orange commercial shop vac hose that I purchased at Home Depot but the black hose that comes with the vac works well too.
    The other day after dumping it out, when I used it, I could feel suction but it did not seem right! I was Vacuuming out a chimney liner and ash was collecting on top of the hose and not being sucked in. It seemed odd, because it was working but I still thought something was wrong. Well it got worse and the last time we emptied it, a lot of ash came pouring out a hole at the bottom seem of the outer layer of the two layers! Ah Ha we found it. So the bag lasted quite a while but we probably use this vac 200 times more per season than the average home owner so all and all we are happy with it and it does a real good job. :)
    Also if you buy the exhaust filter that goes on top at Home Depot then you can remove the little flat round filter under the top screws and be all set for easy and fast cleanings!!!
    The foam filter around the motor rarely gets dirty but you may want to check once a year or so.
    The wheels did break and fell off but that is not a big deal.
    What do you think?

Pic 1 - Ash Vac with heavy orange hose and extra external exhaust filter
    Pic 2 - Four screws to access internal exhaust course foam filter
    Pic 3 & 4 - internal course exhaust foam filter
    Pic 5 - External Exhaust foam filter option
    Pic 6 - Motor foam filter
    Pic 7&8 - filter bag with hole at seam on outer layer
    Pic 9 - New easy clean re-usable double layer bag filter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  2. badbob

badbob

Oh,please,Don. Is this what you use for cleaning costumers units/stoves? I guess if you only clean a few a year this would be fine. Has been proven, a commercial vac, that has an internal filter element, and using a drywall/fine dust bag, works remarkably well.

Lousyweather likes this.
  3. don2222

don2222

This does have a special double wall ash filter bag that is easy to clean and a powerful 10 amp motor made for cleaning ash. One of my chimney guys has a 3 motor commercial chimney vac with special ash bag filter similar to this one for $1400 dollars which for chimney cleaning is bigger and better but he can hardly ever use all 3 motors because it would trip the house breakers!! Since I am just doing pellet stoves this is the best one I have used and it is compact for portable use so yes I do use it and it does work very well without spending A lot of money. The bagels are cheap but do last a long time.

4. imacman

imacman

not in my kitchen.......:beerbbq:

don2222 likes this.
  5. don2222

don2222

That darn spell checker &$@#!! LOL

badbob, Lousyweather and imacman like this.