In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Poplar is next on the chopping block

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sourwood, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

A couple years ago a poplar in the lower pasture fell over. It was still partially on the stump and the Kubota couldnt put it on the ground. I cut up some larger branches and split them the first year.
    This evening I was mowing around it trying to keep briars from getting established. Gave the thing a nudge with the bucket, and it rolled off!

This is probably 60 feet long now. It's light enough o roll with the bucket, so I can get it cut up completly . This things has been an eyesore for me and reminding me of unfinished work.

May even hit it at first light before work. I will post updates on this thread.

image.jpeg

Most of the weekend was outside mowing. I took some time also to grease the hubs on the Bannon trailer. The tyres don't hold air, but keep do a good job just the same. I decided toadd some sealant to see it that willl keep them full.

Decided to spell tires (tyres) the fancy way as a nod to our hoarders in the UK. clay shooter

2. Sourwood

Sourwood

image.png image.png Work product

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Better cut it before it rots!

4. jrider

jrider

Hopefully it hasn’t started to go soft on you already.

5. billb3

billb3

I have a poplar to work on at the neighbor's across the street.

I have two in my back yard I've got to get to before they go soft and have no/even less value as firewood.
    Usually I just ignore them and let them go as they disappear rather quick but these three are rather large and should make decent size splits. Plus they are in the way. Their size means they will be in the way for some time.
    Last year they leafed out (they are leaners) but this year they didn't.

6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Nice way to get that checked off. Not sure if you plan to burn it inside or out but it’s BTU’s. :stacker::fire:

This stuff is better being decent big sized splits much like Cottonwood is. The bigger the longer they’ll burn. Not that I think too much of poplar and cottonwood being valued as the deep burners, they still have their place on the list.

7. Sourwood

Sourwood

No, the trunk was off the ground, still attached partially to the stump, and the large branches kept it off on the other end. It is all on the ground now for the first time. I plan to begin sawing tonight. I will leave the rounds on the ground for splitting when my helpers school activities slow.

8. Erik B

Erik B

I had a poplar that was blown over with the root ball still intact. It stayed that way for a number of years up high enough to be able to drive under it until this spring when it sagged down. I cut it up and the wood was not punky at all. I got it all split up and will burn it in shoulder season in 21.

9. Jotuller

Jotuller

Gnarly and mean looking piece.

10. Sourwood

Sourwood

Cut it up into sections tonight. I need to get the Kubota down and give it a roll to get all the way through.

Nothing punky, but it had a sour odor as I was cutting. Possibly the bark beginning to rot?

Splitting will come later when I have my helpers. These rounds are pretty big on the lower end of the log.

890F0589-5788-45AB-BCD4-638E2CC27670.jpeg

11. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I dealt with poplar earlier this year. Nice smell, eh? Sour is a nice way to put it. I referred to it as vomit.

It'll be nice shoulder wood come 20/21. I tossed a piece I to a campfire the other day. It bubbled out the end.

You need to look at getting a peavy to roll those logs over. Easy peavy.

12. Sourwood

Sourwood

MikeInMa That log is over two feet diameter on the lower end. Going to roll it with the tractor.

13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Maybe you need a cant hook?

14. Sourwood

Sourwood

I have all that stuff. Pushing it with the tractor is "funner"

15. Sourwood

Sourwood

Checked on mytree after rolling it. The bark is sloughing off in large pieces. The wood underneath appears soaked with moisture. Fortunatly, there is no softness to it, so the timing is good for turning into firewood.

This week has been busy. Getting home with just a little time to enjoy outdoors.

Big wwekend of CSS planned

16. jo191145

jo191145

There’s that thick layer of brown stuff under the bark. Just like a sponge. Holds water forever. Once that’s gone it’ll dry fast. Tulip/poplar bark is the culprit that made me hate all bark.

17. Sourwood

Sourwood

The moment all have been waiting for......

All cut up. The bark is falling off, but underneath wood is still good. Probably won’t split it for a while.

C5163EE0-23A3-48B5-A275-EA2867672D54.jpeg

18. billb3

billb3

Tulip tree ( yellow poplar, tulip poplar) is actually a magnolia, or better, in the magnolia family. Except for the wood's carpentry characteristics I don't see why people call it poplar.
    I've cut a few aspen recently and it has the brown stringy, smelly material between the outer bark and the sapwood.
    It's not my experience that it dries all that fast nor is it much better than pine for BTU content.
    I think I'd rather have pine for the speed at which it seasons.
    The first time I burned a stove full of just aspen I came back about an hour or so later, looked in the stove and thought someone had stolen my fire shortly after I started it. The wood was gone and the stove wasn't very hot.

19. Sourwood

Sourwood

Finally got the poplar split today. My helpers, plus one came, with a lot planned. Didn’t get to as much as I hoped, but the tulip is split, and all the branches put into my tractor eating sink hole.

6E9916F4-6F6D-4591-88E4-AE64DACE602D.jpeg EC9DC1D4-AE9D-40E5-BAD6-876FEF7097EA.jpeg

We brought a few loads of the tulip to top off my latest holsen haus, and then commence with moving an old one to the woodshed. I use thin split shingles with bark left on them. The shingles will be placed onto the new haus, except any the the barked dried off of and separated. Those thin pieces are now moved to my kindling stack.

Boa Zhen is from China, and has been here a few years. She enjoyed being in the country.
    I showed her how the moisture meter worked and explained the drying process.

When we were working , she said “show me one time”, with the confidence that once is all was needed.

She enjoyed riding on the ATV as well.
    83399A67-47E5-46FE-BD95-E0F0E9DAC13E.jpeg

20. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Enjoyed all the pics. Great story from beginning to end.

FatBoy85 and Sourwood like this.