In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

poison ivy on firewood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jetjr, Feb 24, 2014.

1. jetjr

jetjr

Hello I am new to the site and think it is a very practical informative thing. Wanted to find out how everyone deals with poison ivy on firewood. I cut up a tree for a friend that was covered in it last year. I left the rounds stacked after pulling the vine off. SHould I make sure to pull the bark off as I split it or just go on with it and whatever comes off comes off? thanks

Gark and Pallet Pete like this.
  2. Locust Post

Locust Post

I get the stuff really bad on my arms if I don't wash real well shortly after cutting but the way I handle it is. I don't worry about some of the vines still on the rounds especially the small ones. Just process it and certainly don't worry about the bark if I have pulled the vines off. Now generally I leave rounds sit around for quite some time before I split. I usually cut through the winter and split in the spring.

3. Locust Post

Locust Post

Also welcome to the forum Jetjr...some real good people on here.

4. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Jetjr I apologize it took so long to get back. I did send a pm to you. Do you know how to check the messages and PM's on this forum?

5. rdust

rdust

I deal with it by not cutting tree's with poison ivy. :) I'm really allergic so I stay away from it.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. jetjr

jetjr

Yea man kind of figured It out. No problem I saw the pm and appreciate that. Thanks again.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  7. jetjr

jetjr

="Locust Post, post: 66990, member: 87"]Also welcome to the forum Jetjr...some real good people on here.[/quote]
    Thanks. I did a lot of reading before I joined. Seems like a good bunch to me.

8. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I think It really comes down to how allergic are you to PI. For the occasional vine I'll take off with gloves or an axe. I'm not going to bother with something that is encased with hairy vines two inches thick.

If you always handle wood with gloves I wouldn't be too concerned. And don't be breathing the smoke as you load the splits with any remains of vine on them.

Oliver1655 and greendohn like this.
  9. Gark

Gark

+1
    Especially can be dangerous burning PI and inhaling the smoke. The leaves (and vines too, I suppose) will retain the toxin long after it's dead.
    Welcome to the forum, jetjr.

Backwoods Savage and jetjr like this.
  10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I never used to get poison ivy. (I'm 46) Cut a big vine 2 yeas ago and got it big time. Got it again 4 week ago. I saw a little vine of poison on a log I was processing and didn't think anything of it. It was cold out and I was covered all but my face and neck. Took about a week of scratching till I figured out what it was. I will be on the lookout for it at all times from now on. I aint touching that chit ever again !!
    Dangit I'm getting itchy just thinking about it

11. billb3

billb3

I've left the whole tree ( after pulling the vines off with pliers ) for a year before cutting it into rounds as I just can't get into it or poison sumac at all. The urushiol oil in the plant can supposedly remain active for 5 years but I've not gotten into it after a year or at least not real bad.

12. jetjr

jetjr

Yeah man the smoke is my main concern. I have an airtight stove but me and my boys spend a lot of time outside. Also my neighbors are good people. Think I am willing to pull the bark or bury the rest in the garden.

13. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Like most of these guys already said, I just try to stay away from it. I get it just by looking at it. Years ago when i was workin for a tree service we were running logs with ivy through the chipper and had the wind at our backs. The wind switched and i got engulfed in a dust cloud. Yep i was covered in the rash for weeks!

Heck we had some huge logs here waiting to be processed for a few months. It had some ivy that dad pulled off and that ivy started to regrow another vine.

14. Wood Duck

Wood Duck

I avoid it altogether because I get really long-lasting rashes that look like leprosy and itch like mad. If I had to cut wood with PI, I'd wait until winter and try to peel the bark and ivy off the tree before bucking. I'd use some sort of tool to do the peeling, and I'd wear clothes that would be thrown away or washed in extra detergent afterwards. I'd also bathe myself in every strong soap and detergent I could find after I was done.

TurboDiesel likes this.
  15. Thoreau's cabin

Thoreau's cabin

You guys need to research Jewelweed salve. I make it every year and it works wonders on posion ivy. 1 to 2 applications and the itch stops, and rash goes away.

16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Welcome to the forum jetjr.

We've cut many trees (mostly ash or elm) that have poison ivy on. Most of it we will take an axe and just shave it off the tree. The small stuff we usually do not worry about because it doesn't bother us.

On that small stuff, I mostly forget it but ask rdust! He came and got some wood one time and he stopped loading. I wondered what was up and he showed me the PI. Of course I knew it was there but had forgotten. Seems I just told him to throw that stuff on the side and I'd take care of it but he surely did not want to touch it.

As for the bark on the rounds, it probably could have some of the sap on it but unless you really highly allergic, I would not be concerned.

Many years ago I did get PI and got it really bad. NO problem getting it off the trees but then we burned the stuff and that is how I ended up with it. It was bad and finally was forced to go to doctor. Doctor thought I'd really be bad the rest of my life and have to stay far away but I never had it before then and have not had it since.