In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellets in short supply?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by schoondog, Jan 19, 2014.

1. schoondog

schoondog

Hey folks. Stopped by my local TSC in Highland to pick up a few pellets and a new set of coveralls. Nice to see a few bags of Lignetic green letter pellets up front, and I mean a few bags. I inquired about getting 6 bags and cashier said another worker was bringing up a ton and I could purchase up to 10 bags. "Why" was my response. "Pellet shortage" was the reply. "We can't get pellets and don't know when we will, so we are limiting amounts customers can buy". I was at Lowes earlier in the week and I thought there were plenty of tons out front and looked quickly to see if there was something interesting (like Hammers), but didn't think there was any type of shortage. Since its only mid January and TSC is looking to get more pellets according to cashier, I don't think end of season out of stock situations are starting yet.
    Anyone else hearing this from their suppliers ?

Schoondog

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I haven't heard of any mill issues or shortage's, Still pretty jammed here in CT. Not to happy with the brands, But they got chit loads of them.

3. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

I stopped at Lowe's the other day to scoop up some 'Sets but they were out. There were two guys outside standing by the (Premium's) AWF's and I asked them if they had 'Sets left in stock and they said no and that they are trying to get in whatever they can. Didn't really think anything of it but after seeing Lee Energy and Inferno's at HD this morning, I wonder if something is up? I've never seen those pellets there before. They also had 3 pallets of PTL's left too.

4. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

5. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Will also said the TSC by him was out and they only had the horse bedding pellets and the TSC by me only had a couple pallets of pellets in stock....didn't see the brand, I just did a drive by......

will711 likes this.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

They may want us to think there are supply issues so they can raise the price and actually make a few bucks on them?

I doubt there is a shortage. AFAIK the mills are still crankin them out. But the mills may be getting the dealers/wholesale orders ready for spring shipments?

7. smoke show

smoke show

No shortage here. :D pelletimage1.jpg :whistle:

8. schoondog

schoondog

Huh, maybe a TSC thing.

Doggy

9. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Maybe???? That cold snap the other week really ate into all the big boxes supplies I think. The other thing too is Lowe's carrying "Hot Ones" bags....that's very unusual...they must have got a real good price on them....

will711 and schoondog like this.
  10. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

From what I was told, The bag supplier had an issue and couldn't supply them the box brand bags. So they sent them in what they had in Hamer bags. Got a few dealers in an uproar from what I was told. Was told Hamer had plenty of pellets and they had a surplus of what was supposed to go the dealers. But some dealers cancelled their orders or reduced do to lack of sales. So some where already bagged in Hamer bags, To save time and labor. They shipped them out too!

Could be we just over ran the box stores this season? CT pellet has plenty of fuel if I really need it. I'm just being cheap, Guess I should share some $$ with the pellet house boys! I'm feeling a bit guilty!! :emb:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    schoondog and slvrblkk like this.
  11. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'm standing in front of a few stacks of PTL's at HD. 25 going in the pickup ASAP. Post a pick when I get home!

Phone cam sucks!

slvrblkk likes this.
  12. will711

will711

My local Lowe's had about 18 ton this morning a mix of Hamer's ,PTL's, AWF's, and chit river and like Steve said TSC only had 1/2 ton of horse bedding pellets. Hope the big boxes aren't thinking spring already there's a lot of heating season to go I'm sitting on 60 bags no problem here. Checking another Lowe's tomorrow and my local stove shop to see what's up .

slvrblkk likes this.
  13. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Yeah those Hamer's seemed to make it all over the place which is why I call BS on the ash/moisture thing. No way all those are "second quality" so to speak.

14. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Sunday's must be "add-to-your-stash" day.........lol

will711 and jtakeman like this.
  15. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Yep BS. The intel I got was Hamer had several dealers cut/reduce or even cancel orders. So the box stores(Lowes and TSC in TSC bags only) scooped them up.

slvrblkk likes this.
  16. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I wasn't really planing too, But geez I'm all scardy now! I only went for a couple a screws and a mail box.

I'm going back mid week to get more and hoping the Hamers make it to Lowes. I'll stuff some of them in if they do!

slvrblkk likes this.
  17. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

I hope Will tells tomorrow that the Easton Lowe's still has Hamer's cuz I'll be adding to the stash again....I have a 10% coupon burning a hole in my pocket!

18. will711

will711

"Sunday add to the stash day " :thumbs:

19. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Geez, I was so excited to haul em in I almost forgot the pic!

I got 25 and 1 free because the clerk that was helping dumped half on the ground after he ripped the bag open.

1-19-14 Prestologs.jpg

These are dark as heck. Here's the side by side of last seasons cream colored on the left. Hope they burn OK?

PTL compare.jpg

will711 and slvrblkk like this.
  20. will711

will711

Look just like mine Jay they burned fine.

IMG_1180.jpg

jtakeman likes this.