In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellets for cooking

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Yawner, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Yawner

Yawner

Hello, are pellets for grilling the same as those for stove heat? Sorry for ignorance on this.

I bought a Camp Chef pellet grill, first time user here. A bag of pellets came with it, I don't recall the brand but I recall it being some kind of 'mix' as far as species. Came from Home Depot. I note that pellets there cost about $1/lb, $19 for 20 lbs. Are they all about the same or is there a 'superior' brand? Yesterday, I was in Bassproshops and they had several brands of pellets for that same price but they also sold their own brand and it was half that! $10 for 20 lbs. Salesman said that is normal price, it was not a sale. I bought hickory to try it. Do you think Basspro brand is good?

2. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

Heating pellets and cooking pellets are different.

3. Rich250

Rich250

What I have found in 3 yrs. of having my grill is that cooking pellets are alot like heating pellets quality wise, Some brands ignite easier then others some brands throw better heat then others etc. etc. Just try different brands until you find which ones you like the best, for me I find lumberjack pellets to be the best.

4. Yawner

Yawner

How do you determine if certain pellets "ignite easier" or "throw better heat?" My grill fires up, reaches a certain temperature and does its thing. Not sure what I could tell about the process but, again, I am new to this, have used it maybe six times.

I know one thing... Basspro price of 50 cents/lb versus a dollar/lb is a good deal if they burn well!

This also makes me curious what high end pellets would do. I see some pellets that cost more, curious if it is just marketing hype at a higher price point. Capitalism!

5. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Easy, trial and error. In my stove, some brands , from the second I turn on the stove, till the pellets ignite and fan kicks on, can be 6-8 minutes. I've had some brands double the time. It's all in the quality of the wood ( less bark, dirt, etc) wood species, and if the pellets are very dry.

Your not looking to heat a house, but again, some brands have more BTU per pound. We see it when our stove temps are higher on the same settings as another brand.

6. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Oh, and price. Quality costs money, as in if the brand is using scrap wood and shavings, or if they are using brand new trees and wood for making the pellets. What country they are made, and shipping distance increase costs. Pellets are very heaving, and shipping is a HUGE factor in price.

7. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Yea......look really close at those "cooking" pellets....maybe you have a bag of cherry cooking pellets.....you're likely to find they are primarily oak, with a small percentage of cherry wood mixed in.
    I have smoked food with pellets for years......I have a very difficult time telling the difference between food cooked with mesquite, apple, cherry, pecan, etc. In fact, I have also smoked with red oak pellets....tasted the same to me. Maybe its a testament to my poor taste-buds? A food smoking aficionado might scoff, saying they can definitely detect the subtle differences between all the different flavors, but with pellets, you're very likely to be 80% or more red oak, and a low percentage of apple or whatever.
    So....since I don't like to pay the exorbitant price for flavored pellets, I simply use a pure red oak heating pellet....Turman is one such (In fact, I know someone who smokes food for competition who does this...and wins). I wouldn't use a blend, I certainly wouldn't use a softwood pellet to smoke food.
    In smoking, I think there are many less subtle ways to affect the flavor of the product....brining, for instance. Or the rub and glue you use on the meat. It took me a while to understand that you dont want to overdo it with rub, and the type of glue isnt a huge issue....mustard, molasses, etc. Get a quality digital temp meter, and FOLLOW THE TEMPS! When the meat hits around 140 degrees or so, it stops smoking and the fats start to render and break down in the meat...also important. Some people foil, some dont....some people add liquid such as beer or apple juice in their foil (basically braising at that point).....by the way, foiling is done AFTER the smoking is finished, in an attempt to keep the food moist.
    Another suggestion......if you're new to smoking, do several smokes yourself before you invite folks over to sample your product.....most likely your first few smokes wont be stellar.....but hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day!
    Good luck!

Harman Lover 007 likes this.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'm in an area without much variety. Pit Boss competition blend has been my go too. I'll use it as a base and add the harder to find flavors in at about a 50% ratio. Saves a little bit of jingle. But still get that specialized flavor were looking for. I prefer 25% ratio for hickory or Mesquite.

I also like the Pit boss pellet that have some charcoal blended in for steaks and burgers.

Rich250 likes this.
  9. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Current stock ..

16029503698093624561692492566058.jpg

Rich250 and jtakeman like this.
  10. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I got a free bag of the BM's and was pleased with their Oak. I considered ordering them as they do a free shipping deal. But just been getting mine locally for now.

Rich250 and slvrblkk like this.
  11. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

My Ace down the street carries Bear and Traeger smoking pellets but NOT the Sweet BBQ one. I got that online....I think it was $16.99 shipped maybe??? The local "Restaurant Store" carries the Bear Apple and Cherry and at about $8.00 a bag is a good deal for smokers. I mean the pricing is a complete ripoff but......

Thought this class action suit was funny but apparently couldn't prove his case.

Judge dismisses lawsuit against Traeger Pellet Grills

jtakeman and Rich250 like this.
  12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:eek:

But man that grub tastes good..............

The blends are reasonably priced, Its the select species that make my eye's bug out.

slvrblkk likes this.
  13. imacman

imacman

The local big box stores have lots of smoker-pellets, due to all the BBQ/smoking that goes on around here. I see the Bear Mtn. listed on HD website for about $21/20 lb bag. Luisiana Brand are higher, Traeger a little less. More different versions that I've ever seen.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    slvrblkk and jtakeman like this.
  14. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter